460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I think this statement will get some fireworks started...

"If there's any truth to readers' letters, the Chevy bias in the hot rodding media is like liberal bias in the mainstream media. No one wants to admit it, but there's sufficient evidence that it exists"

It's good to see that someone FINALLY admitted it...

Doug...:cool:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this statement will get some fireworks started...

"If there's any truth to readers' letters, the Chevy bias in the hot rodding media is like liberal bias in the mainstream media. No one wants to admit it, but there's sufficient evidence that it exists"

It's good to see that someone FINALLY admitted it...

Indeed....

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I saw this in the mag a couple of days ago. They seem to be talking up the BBF quite a bit. It was interesting to see them pointing out the short comings of the BBC.

Nice build-up. Lots of detail.

I think I have around that $$ in my eddy build, and it don't make that kinda power.:(

Bill

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do all u guys making 600 someodd hp have 10grand tied up in getting it?
Unless my eyes deceive me, I believe I saw 775 hp written several times throughout the article. From what I've gleaned off of this here site, 600 "someodd" could be had for significantly cheaper

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
. From what I've gleaned off of this here site, 600 "someodd" could be had for significantly cheaper
I agree... With proper thought processes, one could build a 600+ HP BBF fairly reasonable...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That is the reason I read PHR. They actually showcase all kinds of different stuff. A nice change from Hot Rod SBC.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I thought it was an excellent article. I've read and reread the article about 3 times now. If you study the prices, and delete the cost of the Dommy carb, the MSD distributor and wires, and substitute a more economical set of valve covers for those high dollar custom sheet metal valve covers,,,,then you are looking at just over $8,200 for the deal. I've seen similiar pump gas BB Ford "crate engines" on the internet packaged like that, (minus carb, distributor and wires) that listed for more money, but make less power and torque. I would suggest that all of us BB Ford lovers read and study the article, which is in the June 2009 issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

In regards to the potential of the P-51 heads,,,, Lem, Jet Boat Bob, Randy Moore and myself, just built a race gas P-51 headed 562 CID engine that made 951 Hp and 787 lbs.ft. of Tq. Of course we upgraded to a forged crank and a FRPP A-460 block, along with some other goodies, but it was still a single QFT 1250 carb deal. First time out last Sunday, the engine ran a 5.15 in the 1/8th mile in Randy's Mustang.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agreed, they go quite in depth in some of the technical advantages of the 385 series. I also like how they include the labor charges, even for porting. A lot of the Chebby articles don't do that when they tell you how "cheap" their hp is.

Not brown-nosing here, but it seems from some of the engine build archives I've seen on this site, that many of the builders here (i.e. R.Malik, Evans bros, and others etc) are making near or more power with similar set ups and smaller cams. I wish these article producers would contact these fellas for these tests. JMHO

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I agree with Charlie it's a very good article,but the Chevy guys will not believe it you know how they are.Some of the Chevy guys i've talked to don't believe you can use a stock 460 block and make a 557 cubic inch engine with it.Hopefully they'll read this article in PHR and see the light,but i wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Later Mark.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I'm close to 600hp and I figure I have about $7k in mine. It was a D9 block and used heads and inuction. I think if a guy does a little shopping for quality used components you could make a similar motor to mine and have more hp and the same cost.:)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I agree with Charlie it's a very good article,but the Chevy guys will not believe it you know how they are.Some of the Chevy guys i've talked to don't believe you can use a stock 460 block and make a 557 cubic inch engine with it.Hopefully they'll read this article in PHR and see the light,but i wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Later Mark.
Mark,

We're outnumbered,,,, but the best way to make "believers" out of them, is to whip their butt on the dragstrip. Just this past Friday night Kristina Lawyer beat four Chevy boys and then got beat in the 5th round semi-finals, with a .006" break-out. However, she had the fastest dragster there, and left some Chevy boys scratching their heads and wishing they didn't have to race her.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Charlie,i try to whip them at the track but i've only had my car there 2 times so far.Best was a 11.318 at 119.460 mph in the 1/4 mile and a 7.287 at 99.236 mph in the 1/8 mile.I know i have enough engine to run 10's just don't get to the track enough to due any tunning.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
OK, how much power could this setup make with a cam/spring package that would last 100k miles? Roller or flat tappet. I really do think that would be a badass setup to drive to work every day in my tubbed out 66 Galaxie. :cool: (which is still under construction)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not brown-nosing here, but it seems from some of the engine build archives I've seen on this site, that many of the builders here (i.e. R.Malik, Evans bros, and others etc) are making near or more power with similar set ups and smaller cams. I wish these article producers would contact these fellas for these tests. JMHO
I know what you mean. It seems like these magazine guys throw engines together all the time without talking to the right people first. However, I think they mention in the story that Kaase was the mentor for this build. I certainly can't think of anyone more qualified on 460s than that! Also, the 2-inch shelf headers they used to dyno this particular motor were way too small. I don't think an extra 25-35 hp is out of the question had they dyno'd this combo with 2.25-inch headers. That would put it at a hair over 800 hp. Not too shabby at all.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Mark,

We're outnumbered,,,, but the best way to make "believers" out of them, is to whip their butt on the dragstrip.

You're right, Charlie.....but sometimes even that doesn't work. One night, I trailered a guy, first round, in a 540" BBC Chevelle. I crossed over on the tree (as he was the slower car), ran him down and got on the brakes before the stripe. After he had loaded up his heap, he came over to my pit as I was getting ready for the third round. I graciously took the hood off the Ranger so he could see what had spanked him so badly. After I had named all the major parts in my 514 build for him.....he called me a g.d. liar! :eek: My buddy told the guy, "You need to get your *** away from here before I put out your porch light.":mad:

Some guys ain't gonna believe it until you tear it down for them. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts