460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that want to put a face with a name, here I am.Project is a 69 Talladega with a Boss 429/4-speed.Car will appear all original except for engine trans swap.Long ways to go.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I see with the car pictured the way it is your doing the restoration the correct way. I like to see it when good people save cars like these from the scrap heaps Im used to seeing them in.

With that kind of power plant, are you planning on upgrading the braking system? What type of rear are you going to run? Is it going to be a stock like rebuild on the engine or are you going to go wild with it internally?

Brad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support

I appreciate the support guys. The engine will be a pump gas build using a 460 block and stock Boss 429 intake and exhaust manifolds.I want it to look as it would have if Ford had built it.Close ratio toploader with a lower 1st gear and a 3.00 or thereabouts rear gear.Stock power disc brakes.Original royal maroon with black bench seat taxi cab interior. By the way, I did not have the correct 428 CJ for this car, so don't flame me to bad for not restoring to stock.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Boss9 Talladega

They had Boss 429's in them when they raced in Nascar, so why not build it that way? That's what Ford should have done to begin with. Keep the progress reports coming. Sounds like a nifty build to me. 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I love it no matter how you build it. The Nascar clone car would be awesome too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great plan

I've similar plans for my Cyclone spoiler 2, but don't intend to go with the boss heads, at least not right away. Mines at the media blaster right now. I'll also be going with a T56 rather than a 4 speed. I'll post some pics once I get the car back in the shop. Keep the pics of your car coming. We can probably be of some help to one another as we go along.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoiler II

I have a good friend here that has a restored Spoiler II Cale car if you need any pics for restoration help. Is yours a 351 w car? I wasn't sure if Mercury ever put the 428CJ in the extended nose spoiler car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!

All Cyclone 2's had the 351W/FMX only. While rarer than the Talladega, they're a bit of a "poser" with the wimpy motor.LOL. I never can leave well enough alone. I've got quite a bit of documentation in the form of photo's etc, for the build, but it's always good to have some contacts. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Thanks for the support

How about upgrading the rear with 3.25-3.50 gears as it should have been when the Talladega was released. Deeper gears would give more acceleration for the Tally and still good mpg depending on rear tires. I'll believe that it was Lee Iacocca who sent the mighty Boss 429 engine to Mustang despite the fact that Mustang needed heavy modifications to clear the new engine. I'll believe that there were different plans for homologating the new engine but who could resist Iacocca back then?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Thanks for the support

Finmach said:
How about upgrading the rear with 3.25-3.50 gears as it should have been when the Talladega was released. Deeper gears would give more acceleration for the Tally and still good mpg depending on rear tires. I'll believe that it was Lee Iacocca who sent the mighty Boss 429 engine to Mustang despite the fact that Mustang needed heavy modifications to clear the new engine. I'll believe that there were different plans for homologating the new engine but who could resist Iacocca back then?
Funny you should bring that up about the gears. All the Cyclone 2's had 325's from the factory. Posi's were optional from what I understand, but it's possible none ever received 'em. It's my understanding these cars were originally slated to receive the same option availability as all other Torino's including 4 speeds, etc. I have a pre-production dealer info brochure for my Cyclone that indicates CJ availability and manual trannys. I wonder if the upcoming 70 redesign had something to do with the changes as well. The King Cobra prototypes had Boss power as I recall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
options

All Talladegas came with 3.25 open rear ends.Posi was not an option.From what I understand, the only option that you could get was an AM radio.All Talladegas were 428 CJs with C6 autos,bench seat interior.
I was planning on going no lower than a 3.00 gear in mine.Better for cruisin. David Kee makes a lower first gear for the close ratio toploaders, so that should take care of the problem of getting going with that high a gear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice project! Keep us all posted on your progress. I know what you mean on the 3.00 gears with a wide-ratio Loader, it would need the lower first gear. My Galaxie with a 3.25 goes forever in first gear...over 50 mph. :lol:

Rick S.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TrickFlowRick said:
Nice project! Keep us all posted on your progress. I know what you mean on the 3.00 gears with a wide-ratio Loader, it would need the lower first gear. My Galaxie with a 3.25 goes forever in first gear...over 50 mph. :lol:

Rick S.
Situation is better with the wide-ratio toploader than the close-ratio. Wide-ratio has has 2.78 first gear compared to close-ratio 2.32 first gear. I would definitely go with the 3,25-3,50 to make the Tally scoot. If you have enoung money I would opt to TKO600 overdrive manual. It would be perfect match with 0,83 overdrive. You could paint in black or blue and call it original to chebby guys. You could have it with the hurst stick and T-handle to get stock appearing interior. Only bogie is that you would probably need to raise the transmission tunnel a little to fit the TKO. Just my 2 cent.

I love the car! Talladegas and Bosses belongs together. David Pearson rules!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts