460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to the forums, so I just picked up a 429 yesterday. I’ve been wanting to build a bbf all my life. My first carbureted engine. Always had fuel injection. But I’m excited to learn. What does it take to make it into a scj if possible? Or better than a scj. I’ve been looking at stroker kits as well.
What is a practical mustang to stick this engine into? I know the 69,70 cars will fit right in I believe since the cars came with the 429 correct? They are just a lot more expensive for obvious reasons.
I’ve had foxes all my life. Pretty sure this engine will fit. And if it does do I need a new k member? How practical would it be? Is it to heavy up front? I’m up for most mustangs. Just would rather not be paying classic car prices.
I would also like it to be a 10 second car, I’m up in Albuquerque with 5500 ft of elevation so I know it’ll be harder. Any advice would be appreciated though! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone new to the forums, so I just picked up a 429 yesterday. I’ve been wanting to build a bbf all my life. My first carbureted engine. Always had fuel injection. But I’m excited to learn. What does it take to make it into a scj if possible? Or better than a scj. I’ve been looking at stroker kits as well.
What is a practical mustang to stick this engine into? I know the 69,70 cars will fit right in I believe since the cars came with the 429 correct? They are just a lot more expensive for obvious reasons.
I’ve had foxes all my life. Pretty sure this engine will fit. And if it does do I need a new k member? How practical would it be? Is it to heavy up front? I’m up for most mustangs. Just would rather not be paying classic car prices.
I would also like it to be a 10 second car, I’m up in Albuquerque with 5500 ft of elevation so I know it’ll be harder. Any advice would be appreciated though! Thanks in advance.
Forgot to mention the block is a 1970s block with casting dove-a and dove-c on the heads

·
Registered
298 Posts
All depends on your wallet's pain level?
If you've done Fox style Fords, they are a good platform. This time go with a Fairmont/Zephyr. It's the same as a Stang with a longer wheelbase and drive shaft. Better because of the longer wheel base. 429/460s fit same as the Stang and crossmember will have to be any thing other then a straight 6. Just go tubar in the front end. Rearend is all the same also.
BBF yes it's heavy, but if 10 secs is your goal alum, heads and intake will drop appx 100 lbs right there of the engine. Even with a cast iron engine, 10sec is possible. First before you do anything, tear it apart and see what you have.
67-71 Cougar is another one that it'll fit in with the right stuff. Want to get real radical? Get you a 70-72 Maverick and put a Mustang II front end under it. Or just get a Mustang II. It will fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "odd" fox platform cars are doing well now. Mustangs are very overdone. (says the guy building a BBM fox). I have a thing for t-birds and cougars.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My vote goes for a Maverick. Light weight, nostalgic, not terribly expensive, half decent looking car. Yes, definitely a Mustang 2 style front end to fit a big block in. Mustangs (older ones) are pricey, Torino's are kinda heavy same as pickup's. 1966-67 Fairlane's look good but are also creeping up in price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All depends on your wallet's pain level?
If you've done Fox style Fords, they are a good platform. This time go with a Fairmont/Zephyr. It's the same as a Stang with a longer wheelbase and drive shaft. Better because of the longer wheel base. 429/460s fit same as the Stang and crossmember will have to be any thing other then a straight 6. Just go tubar in the front end. Rearend is all the same also.
BBF yes it's heavy, but if 10 secs is your goal alum, heads and intake will drop appx 100 lbs right there of the engine. Even with a cast iron engine, 10sec is possible. First before you do anything, tear it apart and see what you have.
67-71 Cougar is another one that it'll fit in with the right stuff. Want to get real radical? Get you a 70-72 Maverick and put a Mustang II front end under it. Or just get a Mustang II. It will fit.
Yes that’s my plan. I just want to overhaul it and build the engine first and slowly look for a suitable car.
This is what I’m looking at right now.
Ford Torino 68, 70
69 Ford fairlane
Ford galaxy
70 Ford Mustang
Fox body
Probably be hard to find a good deal on them. I’ve seen some for sale but already done up. Not many fixer uppers laying around right now.
What kind of supercharger can you throw on these engines?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "odd" fox platform cars are doing well now. Mustangs are very overdone. (says the guy building a BBM fox). I have a thing for t-birds and cougars.
I live it. What are you expecting to run in a quarter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vote goes for a Maverick. Light weight, nostalgic, not terribly expensive, half decent looking car. Yes, definitely a Mustang 2 style front end to fit a big block in. Mustangs (older ones) are pricey, Torino's are kinda heavy same as pickup's. 1966-67 Fairlane's look good but are also creeping up in price.
I’ll have to check out a maverick. Torino’s are big I like they way they look. The 70 mustang coupes aren’t to bad. I’m thinking of that. If worse comes to worse it’ll be fox. Which I don’t mind

·
Registered
298 Posts
Supercharger AKA blowers are pricey and have their own issues. Not for the average mechanic to play with. Some racing classes get picky about them and they do tear up parts. For the money you'd put in a blower/turbo set up you can spend making HP/TQ easier in other areas.
Say if you want to go 10.8 @ 125MPH, you need appx 1HP per 1 lb. At 3500 lbs of total vehicle, (you and the car) means you have to make at least 500 HP, not hard with a BBF. 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos are good, 70+ are heavier. Galaxie any year is heavy. Fairlane/Torino, especially the Sedans, would be better then a 70 Stang due to their longer wheel base. They wouldn't cost you an arm/ leg and left n*t. Same suspension parts also. The fastbacks are pricey.
I do like Mavs/Comets and then stand out when they beat the other racers.

I would start getting a few pieces now, what trans do you want to run? Personally C-6 or C-4. Sticks are nice, but the linkage can be fun also. Save some $$$$ for stuff and start looking for a car. What neck of the woods are you in? Car buying can be tricky also. I know of the prefect 70 Maverick, 71 Comet, 72 Comet and 1 more Maverick, that none of the first 3 have titles to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow I didn’t know super chargers would be more difficult on older cars. We just slap them on the fuel injected motors with supporting parts and take it to get a tune. I’m sure you know that though. I didn’t know they would be much different with the carbs. Maybe some nitrous would be an easier route then? I’m sure I’ll want to go faster eventually. But for now I want to build a solid foundation. I’m just waiting for my small block to blow up on me. They can’t handle a lot. Kind of just ok borrowed time lol

Fairlanes and Torino’s are super nice I was looking at them earlier today. I would prefer one with a title for sure. I’d like to drive it around.
I’d prefer a standard but if it’s to much of a pain with the linkage I’m not opposed to a c6/c4. I am in Albuquerque New Mexico. I can’t really find much out here. Found a 70 mustang coupe in colorado about 7 hours from me with a 302 but they didn’t want to sell separately. I think around 5k which isn’t bad at all. If you have pics of the cars with titles that would be great.

Supercharger AKA blowers are pricey and have their own issues. Not for the average mechanic to play with. Some racing classes get picky about them and they do tear up parts. For the money you'd put in a blower/turbo set up you can spend making HP/TQ easier in other areas.
Say if you want to go 10.8 @ 125MPH, you need appx 1HP per 1 lb. At 3500 lbs of total vehicle, (you and the car) means you have to make at least 500 HP, not hard with a BBF. 68-69 Fairlane/Torinos are good, 70+ are heavier. Galaxie any year is heavy. Fairlane/Torino, especially the Sedans, would be better then a 70 Stang due to their longer wheel base. They wouldn't cost you an arm/ leg and left n*t. Same suspension parts also. The fastbacks are pricey.
I do like Mavs/Comets and then stand out when they beat the other racers.

I would start getting a few pieces now, what trans do you want to run? Personally C-6 or C-4. Sticks are nice, but the linkage can be fun also. Save some $$$$ for stuff and start looking for a car. What neck of the woods are you in? Car buying can be tricky also. I know of the prefect 70 Maverick, 71 Comet, 72 Comet and 1 more Maverick, that none of the first 3 have titles to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Where you're at, Oklahoma, Texas, Az, even around Santa Fe especially down toward El Paso, are good to look around in. Even Kansas isn't that far away. Sometimes just driving around town you can find what you're looking for in a driveway or back around the house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I’ll keep that in mind and start to take some cruises around town

Where you're at, Oklahoma, Texas, Az, even around Santa Fe especially down toward El Paso, are good to look around in. Even Kansas isn't that far away. Sometimes just driving around town you can find what you're looking for in a driveway or back around the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live it. What are you expecting to run in a quarter
Faster than a stock 5.0. lol The ultimate goal of this car is to spend as little money as possible utilizing fabricated and used parts. End goal, make a pass under power and drive back onto trailer in one piece. As we go I plan to add to and make it faster. ending up turbo or blown. Its all about having fun.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
119 Posts
Wow! Just reading thru all this is so encouraging!! I'm still working on the suspension on my 90LX to try an get it ready for my big block swap!! I've dreamed of doing it since the late 80's!! I really like seeing others that have done fox platform swaps, it make me wanna go out in the driveway an start turning wrenches every time I see someone else's car with one in it!! I'm still a long way away from getting it done but I can't wait to hear that snotty *** cam and big block rumble fire up for the first time! Dude, someone else here said it's been overdone, but a big block in a fox body is the classic swap that Ford should have put on the showroom floor!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts