460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow! Just reading thru all this is so encouraging!! I'm still working on the suspension on my 90LX to try an get it ready for my big block swap!! I've dreamed of doing it since the late 80's!! I really like seeing others that have done fox platform swaps, it make me wanna go out in the driveway an start turning wrenches every time I see someone else's car with one in it!! I'm still a long way away from getting it done but I can't wait to hear that snotty *** cam and big block rumble fire up for the first time! Dude, someone else here said it's been overdone, but a big block in a fox body is the classic swap that Ford should have put on the showroom floor!!!
another tease!
on the road, let em know !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I prefer stand but if the car comes auto I’m ok with it. What’s the difference esteem c6 and c4. Brand new to autos.

no, wish i had. it was my fun dry day machine.i have stuff now for another and a 4 speed not c6.
i dreamed of shifting back then. picking away daily,some brake work today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Let’s get the projects done! I’m almost done with this Mach 1 and I’ll put it up for sale. Then I will use that money to feed my big block project. If I can’t find a decent oldie at a fair price Im going back to a fox 😈 you got any pics of your project? I also agree a big block fox should’ve been a must from Ford.

Wow! Just reading thru all this is so encouraging!! I'm still working on the suspension on my 90LX to try an get it ready for my big block swap!! I've dreamed of doing it since the late 80's!! I really like seeing others that have done fox platform swaps, it make me wanna go out in the driveway an start turning wrenches every time I see someone else's car with one in it!! I'm still a long way away from getting it done but I can't wait to hear that snotty *** cam and big block rumble fire up for the first time! Dude, someone else here said it's been overdone, but a big block in a fox body is the classic swap that Ford should have put on the showroom floor!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
C-4 vice C-6.
1. C-6 is heavier, about 30 lbs, IMO
2. If the vehicle never had a C-6, (65-66 Stangs, Mavs, etc) putting one in can require some hammering or cutting to make it fit. But usually not much.
3. C-6 is about 60 parasitic HP while a C-4 is only 30HP to spin the guts. Manuals are usually 0HP to spin them.
4. To fit a C-4 to a BBF requires a very different bellhousing. They're out there and there is After market also.
The 351M uses a C-4 and it fits a BBF. D5OP, I think part number.
Personally I like both, but playing with clutch linkage can be a pain. Makes header fit sometimes extremely difficult, but not impossible.
Auto, convertor selection is critical to making the whole package work. Car weight, cam, gearing, etc. But Shifter set up is easy and most headers fit no problem.
This is a picture of a C-4 with the BBF bellhousing from a Ford 351M.
68 Torino, fastbacks are good cars to build on. Mustang suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
119 Posts
I sorta lucked out with the tranny on mine, PO that put a 351M in it also put a C6 in with the BBF bellhousing pattern! I'm gnna swap it out for a built one from PAW or B&M and a good converter as it's got issues, but it's already been fitted for one to start with... I may still go for a built C4 tho.. tempting.. Question for those who've done it... The C4 bolts easier to get to on the bell housing?? From what I've heard the ones on the BB swap can be an issue with a C6...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sorta lucked out with the tranny on mine, PO that put a 351M in it also put a C6 in with the BBF bellhousing pattern! I'm gnna swap it out for a built one from PAW or B&M and a good converter as it's got issues, but it's already been fitted for one to start with... I may still go for a built C4 tho.. tempting.. Question for those who've done it... The C4 bolts easier to get to on the bell housing?? From what I've heard the ones on the BB swap can be an issue with a C6...
All depends on the vehicle and firewall/header, etc clearance. My 68 Cougar with the 460/C-4 mock up pictures. When the 2 eng/trans come together, I'll be using studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
119 Posts
Sorry should have clarified a lil, it's in a 90 Mustang and I've got a team z k-member I'm planning on using if that helps out any...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sorry should have clarified a lil, it's in a 90 Mustang and I've got a team z k-member I'm planning on using if that helps out any...
I know on my 82 Zephyr (Fox setup) I had to drop the crossmember with the engine to get the trans and engine away from each other. No firewall room in there. C-4 top bolts would probably be the same issue since the engine still sets that far back.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts