460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to post pictures of my truck so here they are

Truck has 545 with ms cj heads, stealth, 800 dp(needs more), 266/276 solid cam and a close ratio toploader(need wide ratio badly :evil: ) Best time and speed so far is a 13.00 and 107.7 mph. Truck weighs 4780# :shock:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Wow! That's a beautiful truck. Great detail work.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Nice!

Nice looking truck!

Do you have any cooling issues by chance?

I noticed your nice looking fabricated shroud doesn't have flapper doors preventing the fans from drawing and recirculating engine heat from the hot-side of the radiator. If you closed up all those holes in the shroud, your idle cooling performance with the truck parked would be greatly improved because more air would be drawn through the radiator, but the lack of holes would hinder cooling once the truck is moving. The best solution would be flapper doors but it wouldn't be as pretty as what you have now. Once the truck is moving through the air enough to provide more air through the radiator than the fans provide, the flappers would open.

But, if it works fine as is, you've found a compromise point that draws enough air through at idle yet doesn't create a restriction once the truck is moving. That's fine too; just thought I'd say something in case you were fighting a cooling problem.

Byron

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put them in last week. I had it all closed up but the temp started rising going down the road. It seems to cool fine at idle, but I havent taken it back down the road after punching the holes in it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice truck! I am working on a similar deal, but with much less attention to detail. I want mine to go fast first then I will worry about its appearance. Your truck is very nice.

Kyle

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep cheap used milage master. eventually will upgrade to something with a rev limiter, and maybe a timing retard, but for now, it works

BTW: truck lays frame :lol: :lol: its on firestone airbags with 3/8" line, 3" dropped I beams, and two link rear suspension

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow man, nice truck. This is my first post after joining the forum, and all I can say is swweeeet! I also have a '79 truck, though mine is an F250 2wd that I just swapped to 1/2 ton spindles with 3" DJM dropped beams, and a 9" rear with flip kit and c-notch. What wheel/ tire combo are you running? Also, can you give more stats on your motor setup? My truck has a factory 460 that is still stock except for the common early model timing chain swap, but I am planning to do more mods to it to increase the power. Can you estimate how much power the combo is putting out?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wheels are american racing 20x8.5 with 245/35/20 bfg gforce kdw's on the front and 265/50/20's on back. Engine has D9 block (.030 over) Diamond pistons 33cc dish, scat 545 crank and rods, MS CJ heads mild porting, Stealth SCJ intake, and 800 DP. Truck made 441 hp and 487 lbs/tq at the wheels in may. Had run 13.1 1/4 at that point. Has since run 12.81 @ 109

1 - 12 of 12 Posts