460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a FORD board but I think everyone here can appreciate the new car. Maybe not as much as the old 426's but it's still a decent size hemi RWD car.

Pics of the one local to me.

The good:
This car SCREAMS "I'm bad ***", it demands respect from just being present.
Build quality looks better than the typical Dodge. Panels line up, lines flow well.
BIG BRAKES! 20 inch rims and they are full of brakes.

The bad:
The car is BIG.. and not just on power. Big in stature, its all, its long, it's wide.

The "Carbon fiber" strips are decals. As opposed to a carbon hood and painted over orange sides.
Automatic, I realize this wont be the only option in the future but not good now.

I also saw two black and one orange SRT on a trailer while traveling between Myrtle Beach and Columbia today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where at in South Carolina did you see this one. A couple months ago I saw a gunmetal silver/grey and carbon fiber striped one at Darlington Dragway. Only difference was this one had a manual tranny.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder if FORD will bring back the Torino or Fairlane? That way, they would have something to contend with the new challenger. Dont get me wrong, the Mustang is cool, but it would be nice to see something (new) from Ford, in the musclecar category. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I think it's cool they're building more performance cars. Just wish everything wasn't a 4000lb pig.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Turbokid15 said:
Where at in South Carolina did you see this one. A couple months ago I saw a gunmetal silver/grey and carbon fiber striped one at Darlington Dragway. Only difference was this one had a manual tranny.
They are not avalilable with manual tranny, only automatic.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I seen two of them this week. One in Nashville and one on the way to Pigeon Forge. They don't seem to fast from reading in Hot Rod though. Maybe their quoted hspr is closer to actual than Fords quoted "450" the GT 500 has. :lol:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbokid15 said:
I'm in Myrlte Beach. This car is Murrells Inlet. I go to Darlington on occasion... If you seen a straight shift car you seen a test mule. The first 6400 cars to my knowledge are all auto cars. 6 sp hit the market as 09 models later this year.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
chilly said:
I think it's cool they're building more performance cars. Just wish everything wasn't a 4000lb pig.
We talk about this everyday at work. One day at all these damn meetings somebody is going to listen to me!
I would take a 300 hp N/A mustang at 2800 lbs over a supercharged 500 hp mustang at 4400 lbs any day!

and we do have something coming for that challenger. it's in the works, let's hope some penny pinching big shot doesn't shoot it down.

Please don't ask cuss I can't and will not say what. sorry :(

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yep, can only get an automatic, it gets something like 16mpg, no limited slip rear, is way too heavy, too tall, 4" narrower than the concept... and is $40K. No thanks, I think I'd save a few more bucks and just buy a 'vette instead and go a lot faster and have a lot more fun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Harold said:
Turbokid15 said:
They are not avalilable with manual tranny, only automatic.
For 2009 a six speed manual behind the 6.1L and the 5.7L will be a option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The father of a good friend is taking delivery of one of these this week. He has had it on order for 6 months. I'll be sure to take lots of pics and let you guys know what its like to ride in one. And yes there is nothing like a big cube motor in a light car. Maybe Ford will listen, but I suspect small motors with good economy in light cars will be the cars of the future. But we can dream!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
chilly said:

Chilly: I agree. Too bad we couldn't buy 3200 lb. , 300 plus H.P. solid axle RWD Hot Rods anymore.

The Corvette Z07 weighs around 3150 lbs with 500 + HP :D (not affordable tho)

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
D's557BBF said:
chilly said:
We talk about this everyday at work. One day at all these damn meetings somebody is going to listen to me!
I would take a 300 hp N/A mustang at 2800 lbs over a supercharged 500 hp mustang at 4400 lbs any day!

and we do have something coming for that challenger. it's in the works, let's hope some penny pinching big shot doesn't shoot it down.

Please don't ask cuss I can't and will not say what. sorry :(
Hey D i just got off the phone with Peter Horbury the new designer for Ford and if they proceed with that project it will be insane !!!!! its got my vote --- but i wont tell ..... 8)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ScottJackson said:
Yep, can only get an automatic, it gets something like 16mpg, no limited slip rear, is way too heavy, too tall, 4" narrower than the concept... and is $40K. No thanks, I think I'd save a few more bucks and just buy a 'vette instead and go a lot faster and have a lot more fun.
16 city, 23 highway, has ESP (electronic stability program) which, for the most part, does away with the need for a limited slip diff. Slam it all you want Scott, but at least it's a two door, rear-wheel drive musclecar. Friggen designers of the monoco, er polara, um coronet? Oh wait they call it a charger.
Looks like Saleen has already got plans for the challenger as well...
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

·
Registered
636 Posts
Checked one out at the Bob Boyd dealership yesterday. They said it is the only one they know of in Ohio that was not ordered. Sticker is $41,700, 6.1 hemi, 18 MPG highway. Will be marked up at least $20,000 according to the salesman. Nice but I still like my '06 GT.
Mustang always was and still is the best looking 'pony' car period.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
moparman said:
ScottJackson said:
16 city, 23 highway, has ESP (electronic stability program) which, for the most part, does away with the need for a limited slip diff. Slam it all you want Scott, but at least it's a two door, rear-wheel drive musclecar. Friggen designers of the monoco, er polara, um coronet? Oh wait they call it a charger.
Looks like Saleen has already got plans for the challenger as well...
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
I agree it's a step in the right direction, but I still think they likely flubbed it to a great extent. Does the ESP allow both tires to do a proper burnout? If so, that's good enough for me in that regard. Now if they can shorten the slab sides (and overall height of the car), make it wide like the original and the concept, and drop about 500-700lbs off it and actually sell it for under $40K, they'd have something. This is only my opinion. I haven't driven one or seen one in person, but I think I can pretty well guess what it'd be like to drive based on all the info going around about it.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Typical of Dodge. They push unrefined designs to market too fast and it takes them a few years to work it out. The 96-97 Viper GTS was the pinicle of it's series (and a pretty good rip off of the Shelby Daytone Coupe). Early on they were unrefined and cartoony, now they're too homogonized.

This new Charger is nothing but a poser-mobile. Look at me! I've got 20" wheels, big brakes, and a Hemi badge on the hood!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got to take a look at my buddy's new challenger. It seems like a nice ride but with a hefty price. $37,000 plus and it has been on order since December 4th. It has a trunk mounted battery and no spare just a small air compressor. At least they're making competition for the mustang and competition is good for consumers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts