460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a 557 and the stroker kit came with Carrillo rings. I found out that Carrillo doesn’t make a file set of rings for a 4.440 bore. The ring gaps out the box is .026 to .028. It’s my understanding with the 4.440 bore the top ring should be at .020 and the second ring should be .004 to .008 larger than the top. Can anyone shed some light on this subject, if I’m wasting time with these rings or should I get a set of file set?

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
I’m building a 557 and the stroker kit came with Carrillo rings. I found out that Carrillo doesn’t make a file set of rings for a 4.440 bore. The ring gaps out the box is .026 to .028. It’s my understanding with the 4.440 bore the top ring should be at .020 and the second ring should be .004 to .008 larger than the top. Can anyone shed some light on this subject, if I’m wasting time with these rings or should I get a set of file set?

What kind of power are you shooting for and with which heads?

Any nox?

SJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on running a set of John Kasse heads with a roller cam. I plan on staying fully aspirated at this time.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
not sure where you got .020 from, but thats kinda small

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Depending on RPM and output we typically run .028" to .032" top and second for NA. .020" is imo too tight.

SJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I run .028 on the top ring, should I go .032 on the second? I’m not sure what my end result will be on out put, but I plan to be around 7000 to 7,500 rpms

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I don't think that ring gaps are a big deal really as long as you have enough. I always go by what the manufacturer says for the top ring whatever that might be and it varies a lot depending on the ring material and application. .020 will be perfectly fine for the top ring with some materials. With that said most of the time so I only have to use one feeler gauge I just gap both rings the same amount so if I do .020 on the top I also do .020 on the 2nd since it runs cooler and that will probably give it a little more gap when operating which might help the top ring seal better.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
.020 is too small period for a 4.440 bore

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
.020 is too small period for a 4.440 bore

No kidding? Because that's what I'm running in a blown alcohol monster truck engine with a 4.530 bore size using a Mahle ring... That's been working fine for years. Should I do something different?

Reactions: Mike C. Steinberg

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
No kidding? Because that's what I'm running in a blown alcohol monster truck engine with a 4.530 bore size using a Mahle ring... That's been working fine for years. Should I do something different?
YOU can do what ever a person wants,could run .005 gap for all I care, people own tools,and tool boxes, doesn't mean they should

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
YOU can do what ever a person wants,could run .005 gap for all I care, people own tools,and tool boxes, doesn't mean they should
What do tool boxes have to do with ring gaps?

If the instructions from the manufacturer call for .0045 per inch of bore why wouldn't that be fine for the application?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Their chart for (Mahle rings ) BLOWER APT SHOWS .033 FOR TOP RING 4.530 BORE, like I said do what you want.

its on page 21 by the way

So to answer your question ....Yes

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Their chart for (Mahle rings ) BLOWER APT SHOWS .033 FOR TOP RING 4.530 BORE, like I said do what you want.

I wonder how much using alcohol affects the whole combination. I have no idea.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts

Look what it says under "blown alcohol" and you'll see that you're incorrect... It says .0045 per inch of bore. This is on the information paper that comes with the ring set. I don't know why they are tighter than recommended for blown gas except maybe the ring is cooled by the methanol and by making the end gap tighter less fuel can get by the ring and into the crankcase during times when the engine is over fueled...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do tool boxes have to do with ring gaps?

If the instructions from the manufacturer call for .0045 per inch of bore why wouldn't that be fine for the application?
I kinda agree with you Dave. I don't think .020 thousandths for the top ring is too small for these engines on the street. The X amount thousandths per inch of bore is more of a ballpark figure. From there everyone has to start rowing their own canoes. It depends on what your using the engine for, and what fuel you're using. I think with a moly ring, you could run .020 on the top, and .022 on the second. I have a 466 I'm building, and that's probably what I'm going to run. I've known people to run .018 on the top. The gapless rings technically, make a lot of sense. I'm even open to trying them. I've heard mixed results about using them though. Back in the "Olden Days".... Lol...I ran AAGas/Supercharged cars in the 1960's and early 70's. My last car was a 48' Austin, with a 432 ci Dodge Hemi engine. I used custom Mickey Thompson pistons, cut for the Ed Pink stainless Dyke ring. I gapped these rings at .016 on the top, and .018 on the second. I ran a tefloned 6-71 blower at 28 % over-drive and never had the rings butt out. It just shows what you can do sometimes, without being saddled with ball-park formula's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i just built a 545 with 871 blower and i used the file fit rings i set top at 20 second at 22 my motor runs awesome my engine vac is 16hg with 236 dur 110 lobe sep cam the tighter ring gap will help the engine vac but 20 is not tight at all i have built engines at 20/20 they run great

·
Registered
913 Posts
i just built a 545 with 871 blower and i used the file fit rings i set top at 20 second at 22 my motor runs awesome my engine vac is 16hg with 236 dur 110 lobe sep cam the tighter ring gap will help the engine vac but 20 is not tight at all i have built engines at 20/20 they run great
Do you talk really, really fast?

If you'd have gapped your rings to 30/28....what do you think your vacuum would be?

The cam is tiny, hence the vacuum. That's less duration than what I normally run on a 347.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts