460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got one? I'd love to have one, but the name brands are $$$$. Anyone have any luck with an 'off' brand one? I've read pro and con on the about them on the net.....

Seem like the hobby guys like the Chinese stuff fine and the guys that rely on their tools to make a living, don't like them LOL

(psst don't turn this into a China junk vs. made in USA, I'm just asking a simple question)

:!:

·
Registered
900 Posts
plasma

I bought a Parker Divtec40yk 3 yrs ago works great have not had any problems with it. I bought it off e bay for 892. Hope this helps Joe.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have one and never use it. I do a lot of chassis work in my shop. I have found that a sawzall works better. Cleaner cut, no fire, smoke, etc. I guess if you are doing a bunch of work with new flat steel it would be a good investment.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have one

I have a "drag-gun" unit. It has it's own compressor built in, runs on 110vac, cuts up to 1/8" sheetmetal.

I never use it; seemed like a super cool thing to have, but in reality I'll pick up a saw, shear, or a pancake cutter before I'll drag out the plasma.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have and couldn't live without my HTP America MicroCut 625. It wasn't cheap, about $1500 if I remember correctly. I've had it about 6 years now and have had zero problems with it. It will make a severance cut through 5/8" steel and a good quality cut through 1/2". When I use it on sheetmetal I just dial down the power and it slices clean like butta. If you have good clean dry air feeding it the consumable parts in the head last quite a while. I also have one of their Mig 200 welders great machine also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: plasma

torinojoe1971 said:
I bought a Parker Divtec40yk 3 yrs ago works great have not had any problems with it. I bought it off e bay for 892. Hope this helps Joe.
I have one of the PT50's from Parker brothers (parkermetalworking.com). It'll cut 5/8 no problem and can sever 3/4. I have about 20 hrs of operating time with mine and no probs so far.

Best part, 399.00 + 65.00 s/h...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at those, but that guy has posted a bunch over on 4x4pirate and really came across as a tool. Really made me not want to support his business, good product or not.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have a Hypertherm 600 unit and I love it. It was about 1700 but they make a smaller unit for around $1000. That doesn't mean I don't still use my sawzal, my die grinder or my jigsaw but it has its purpose. For thicker metal (1/8"and up) it is way faster than using the die grinder.

As far as offshore brand, I have a Century mig welder and have used plenty of Miller welders and the Miller welds incredibly better. That was a major factor in my decision to not buy a cheap plasma cutter. I plan on upgrading my Century to a Miller next year.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd have agree on the sawsall idea, maybe I've never had a GOOD plasma cutter. If the material isn't very clean, it doesn't cut well or smokes bad if it does. I'd invest in a good bandsaw and a sawsall and have some $$$ left over. I've gotten way more use out of the bandsaw than the plasma at a quarter of the cost.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Long ago I bought a plazma cutter from Daytona Mig, it's a 110 unit that really sucks. Doesn't cut worth a crap, it only cuts about half the thickness it was rated at in their ads.

So I say go with a name brand cutter that actually does what the ads say it will.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I really wanted one to cut stuff like 3/16"-1/4" plate (max) to make brackets, lop off leaf spring perches, etc. Stuff I HATE to try and use the sawzall for. It's kinda hard to make a nice curve cut with a sawzall. LOL

·
Registered
330 Posts
My dad has fixed and repaired welders and plasma cutters for 27+ years. I just called him and asked him for sugestions on what you wanting. He said Hypertherm and Miller are probably your best bets. Some of the others mentioned he has seen alot coming through his shop through the years. He said those names would be good and better worth your money. He also said depending on what size you get Miller makes some of Hypertherms units and Hypertherm makes some of Millers units so they usually are of the same quality. I thought it was kind of crazy to think why would they not just make all of their own but he said they can just have one plant make a certain size and stick either a hypertherm or Miller sticker on it and send it out. So I guess economically it makes since. He said with what you are wanting a 625 would be a fine size but would not recommend going much smaller especially if you ever decide to move up in what you wanted to cut. Hope some of this helps if you need anything else feel free to pm me and I will get answers for any of your questions.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have a nice Hobart Air Force 250 110volt setup, and it worked nice cutting out the templates for my shock towers. It can cut up to 1/4" steel, so that's all that I would need it for.

·
Registered
429 Posts
m

Miller 375 xtreme has done me right. I use it all the time. It is small and will plug into 110 or 220 by just changing the adapter on the cord. Only wieghs 18lbs. Got it to my door for $1065.

Tim

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When I was doing research before I bought my Hypertherm everyone I talked to said to get one that will cut more than what you think you need. If you are on the max of your machine it doesn't make as nice as a cut.

I went to my local Miller dealer and he was the one that said the Hypertherms are better than the Miller so thats what I went with.

As far as the steel having to be clean I don't know about that. There is lots of times when I start at a clean spot and it will burn any paint off before you get there so I haven't had any problems in this area.

There is no comparison to a sawzall or jigsaw or die grinder when it comes to cutting some 1/4" brackets. The only thing that can be a little more time consuming is having to set up brackets as a fence to make nice straight cuts. It is amazing how hard it can be to do a straight line free hand without a few crown and cokes in you to smooooooth out your action.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts