460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, What is this fuel system component called shown in the pictures? It's on my Ford 460 RV engine. I assume it is a return valve for excess fuel to be diverted back to the fuel tank... is this correct?

I was hoping for a little information on how it works, such as what pressure it opens up, how it senses that pressure, etc.

I am asking because while I was working on my fuel system I switched my fuel pumps on manually to observe the fuel delivery to my sight-glass fuel filter next to my carburetor, and I noticed that there didn't seem to be any flow until I started the engine... Is this because the carburetor float needle is capable of holding back pressurized fuel until the engine is started and it allows delivery? Was the fuel being diverted back to the tank through this 3-way valve thing or were my pumps deadheading?

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help in advance...

a1.jpg
a2.jpg

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
THAT GLASS FILTER IS A NO NO, SEEN too many burn the car or truck it was on to the ground

The part you asking about it to bleed fuel back to the system, helps prevent vapor lock when under hood temp get high.

Buy a new one from napa, they use to sell them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
THAT GLASS FILTER IS A NO NO, SEEN too many burn the car or truck it was on to the ground

Thank you. Question- Does the sightglass filter present any risks in the way I have it set up though? It's quite secure, not under strain, and is out of the way of the belt drive and potential moving objects. If I replaced it with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge(I've been wanting to be able to check my fuel PSI at carb inlet) would I be at any less of a risk?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts