460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22 YEARS AGO I MET THIS KID AT A MUFFLER SHOP, HE WAS GOING TO BUY THE PLACE . I WAS PICKING UP MY 70 429 SPOILER AFTER GETTING CUSTOM EHX BUILT FOR IT.

IN JUST A FEW MINS IM WALKING OUT THE DOOR TO SEE HIM FOR THE LAST TIME. THRUSDAY HE WAS UNDER A TRACTOR AND IT FELL ON HIM TAKING HIS LIFE.

THE STANDS HAD MOVED JUST ENOUGH WHILE HE WAS PULLING ON A BREAKER BAR CAUSING IT TO FALL.

HE LEAVES 5 KIDS FROM 12 TO 5 MONTHS OLD

BE SAFE GUYS

·
Registered
636 Posts
That is so sad. Sure doesn't hurt to check things twice or even three times when under something as heavy as a tractor. I'm 65 and am still a little paranoid when crawling under my '64 Galaxie even though I check and recheck me stands.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Always have a backup for the jack stands, even if it's just a spare tire under there with you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry that sucks.. I always have a jackstand in 2 diff places nesr each other plus a jack with pressire on it as a backup

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I'll have to admit, when I blew my rearend and had the housing, shocks and springs out, I used two sets of jack stands on the rear of the car. I did feel pretty safe under it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Uncle died from a car falling on him. It has me paranoid and aware of my time under a vehicle. I almost always have a backup to jack stands or jacks. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
stands

Had a friend have one drop on him. Was stuck for over 2 hours. Every little breath he let out was that much he couldn't get back in. What saved him? He had a chest like a tank and a Vega that didn't weigh what a Galaxy does. My brother found him (he was using our garage), so all ended well...... And even though I saw that I'm with Montego when I say I really should use them more, or at all....... I take way too many chances.....

And my condolences to the family and you for the loss of your friend........

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya its hard day today, his wife put me in charge of cleaning out his shops, SO now im selling off stuff I saw him work to buy and pay for, I just cant belive it

years ago a freind and I WERE UNDER A 66 ford (ABOUT 1977) PULLING,OR TRYIN TO a c6 from the big boat had jack stands under it. Well I got out to get a tool and it fell, stand failed car slide toward drivers side which was his side pinning him under it. Now this thing was out in the woods 2 maybe 3 miles from town . He got setted under it and could talk to me, all i could do was get to the car and drive to town to get another jack, I made it thank god,got HIM OUT AND TODAY he has 2 kids,and a great wife.

weirdest thing was about 15 years ago we were talking on the phone and im looking out my kitchen window and that car went by on a tow truck, I told him what I had just seen and we both just got quiite,thinking if I hadnt of gotten out in time we might of both been stuck under it????????????????????

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I shudder when I see somebody under a vehicle using a flimsy bumper jack.
I came within 2-3 seconds of loosing my life to a bumper jack. Not the kind that the factory supplied in a new car but a very sturdy screw type bumper jack used in commerical automotive repar shops. Jack held up just fine, it was the bumper brackets that broke just as I was sliding out from under the car and the front brake drum landed about where my head was on the creeper. Drum embedded about 3/4" into the concrete floor...The autoshop teacher showed that concrete divit along with my story to all following auto shop classes until he retired many years later. And yes I do use jack stands and leave the extended floor jack under the car as insurance. As a side note I'd like to add that if you live in earthquake country as I do, jack stands or not, in the event of an earthquake even the most solid stands may not be enough. A quick escape plan when the ground starts to move may save your life.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted some of the stuff for sale in the for sale section

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sad deal for sure:(. Same deal on a lift w/arms. Just today i was dismantling a 97 explorer on my swingarm lift. I was prying on front of the rear spring leaf's after removing bolts when I heard a noice. i had almost moved the lift pad away from frame.Had to let it down to floor and reposition it. lets be careful guy's. crazy things can happen.:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts