460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new PMGR starter and have a question about wiring. My car does not have the fender mounted solenoid, the positive cable goes directly to the starter solenoid. My question is about the two smaller wires. On the original starter it has the standard R terminal and S terminal on the solenoid, the PMGR only has one terminal with an extra spade connector on it. The only way I can see to wire it is to put both wires on the single terminal, am I missing anything? Or is it that simple? Pics attached

Original starter on left, Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you put both wires on the terminal the starter will continue to run unles you put a diode in the i wire to prevent current to flow toward the starter. The i wire has a low voltage whenever the key is in the run position as it connects to the plus side of the coil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The PMGR starter's built-in solenoid draws a lot of current compared to the OEM one one fender. You may want to use a relay to avoid burning out contacts in key switch. A second relay or a double pole type relay would replace diode mentioned above to isolate 'run' from 'start'

I retained the fender mounted solenoid for these 2 reasons with PMGR starter.

There are schematics on web for this mod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a new PMGR starter and have a question about wiring. My car does not have the fender mounted solenoid, the positive cable goes directly to the starter solenoid. My question is about the two smaller wires. On the original starter it has the standard R terminal and S terminal on the solenoid, the PMGR only has one terminal with an extra spade connector on it. The only way I can see to wire it is to put both wires on the single terminal, am I missing anything? Or is it that simple? Pics attached

Original starter on left, Thanks
Just installed one of these on the 532 in my ‘70 Mark III. If you’re running electronic ignition, the 12V coil wire (R) is unnecessary. It’s purpose is to send full 12V to the points (bypassing the ballast resistor) for hotter spark while cranking.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 444 that's what I was hoping for, simple. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts