460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My external balanced D9 block is rebuilt and pictured. My internal balanced block from a ‘77 Mk V is also pictured. I am was very much taken back in terms of being impressed with the casting on the D9 block compared to 5.0 (mostly roller cam) SBF I have done. To my horror, the ‘77 block is much thinner and shows porosity in the lifter valley. I am not sure if this ‘77 block is a concern for a future build? This is an area where stressed short deck SBFs fail, and the D9 block is very impressive in this area...

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
I may be wrong, was once before, I guess it would depend on the use. For a simple run around engine it wouldn't be a problem, it's survived just fine all these years. F block just for pieceor a high performance build, if it were mine, I would look for a different block just for piece of mind. It's not like they are hard to find or very expensive and I like to start with a good foundation. The 385 series oem blocks will take north of 800 hp without a problem with 2 bolt mains and the oem bolts, girdles are unnecessary and a waste of money better spent elsewhere. Paul Kanes website has quite a lot of good block info www.highflowdynamics.com/ and is worth the look.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Though this seems to be the exception rather than the rule that 1977 block would be fine especially at the modest under 275 hp they made on a GOOD day with dual exhaust.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The D9 (532) build is a street engine (TFS-53410001 heads, 230/230 .609/.609 cam) and I thought I would hang on to the '77 block for something more radical down the road. That lifter valley porosity does not give me any confidence.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
The D9 (532) build is a street engine (TFS-53410001 heads, 230/230 .609/.609 cam) and I thought I would hang on to the '77 block for something more radical down the road. That lifter valley porosity does not give me any confidence.

For a higher HP build source a better block.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts