460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope I spelled it right? Can the switch be cleaned or rebuilt? Mine is flashing and I've had the brakes looked at and spent 900.oo on really unneeded brake work ( pedal was not squishy, hard or brakes pulling just the light was flashing,) just because it was close needed rotors I knew they were bad but not shot totally.. but there is NO connection between the idiot light and the pads or any of the hardware. car is a 1975. so its just park brake light or fluid valve.. light still flashing.. I unplug the p valve and the light quits flashing and the park brake light still works so the problem is the valve switch. I knew better than letting them working on it. Every time I have a shop work on my stuff I get shafted.... and it cost a ton of money... and it took them all day to do just my front disc and pads, I went in at 10:30 they got the car in the shop at about 11 and I didn't get home till like 4 pm.??? I stayed and watched.. kid was knowledgeable without much help from the foreman didn't fully collapse the calipers and was fighting to get the bolts back in the caliper mounts a very long time..
thanks
tim

·
Registered
477 Posts
(If this is a '75 Ford vehicle) See if there is an issue with the parking brake switch wire, it along with the proportioning valve warning switch can activate the dash mounted light. Never have seen a 70's Ford dash brake light flash unless there is a sub-par connection, always found them to be a steady illumination when an issue arises or when the parking brake is depressed. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Tim can you post a picture of the valve and its location.
It sounds like a pressure switch in your circuit and often they get dirty and don't sense the pressure correctly which leads to the flashing light.
You should be able to remove it and clean it with some brake clean. The proportioning valve will usually give you unequal brake bias if it fails.
Since you don't claim to have any obvious pulling or single wheels locking up I would think assume the valve is ok.

tim

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim can you post a picture of the valve and its location.
It sounds like a pressure switch in your circuit and often they get dirty and don't sense the pressure correctly which leads to the flashing light.
You should be able to remove it and clean it with some brake clean. The proportioning valve will usually give you unequal brake bias if it fails.
Since you don't claim to have any obvious pulling or single wheels locking up I would think assume the valve is ok.

tim
Hi, thanks all Ok good it can be cleaned, now it won't leak fluid when I take it out to clean well it? I've check a couple of stores and Rock Auto and no one has one (the P valve) or lists one. I'm Sorry its not an Ford .. its my 75 Fury valve is under hood on drivers side fender below master cylider.

Thanks again
tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts