460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I want to try my hand at porting and polishing a set of C9VE heads as a winter project. Could you recommend a good quality tool inventory for the project...also an estimate of the man hours needed to do a mild job, thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
you need a barrel with round top around a 1/2 for big stuff . Most like a christmas tree type and a couple round onesn, one small and one bigger. Sometimes a football shape ones come in handy./ You could alwasys use more , but theses should get you started.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! And the video explains a lot. Also is there an electric grinding tool that's preferred because of its quality, and possible mandrel capabilities and reach? I'd rather not run an air hose through the window this winter, and have the neighbor bitch over compressor noise.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Screw the neighbor... Do what you got to do!! All the other advice seemed good. I ported a set of D3vE-A2A's. Not sure of the hours involved but I can tell you that it wasn't 2 hours. It was many. My hand would get sore and I would have to quit and come back to it. When your hand starts getting tired that is when you start hitting stuff you don't want to hit. So take your time and do it right. I know The Mad Porter on here sells access to a website that tells you what to do. If you are going to do it, it is worth the price of admission. A good set of heads are expensive and it can be easy to screw them up if you don't know what you are doing. So chuck up the $25 so you know for sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
584 Posts
i got my cable drive tool from enco a long time ago.it was around 300$but it's a heavy duty rig,done a lotta work with it.the foot control is nice too.you cant have too many cutters for the job.:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check out C&CSpecialty.com out in Murfreesboro Tenn. They offer all sizes of porting tool kits.
I port 2 cycle cylinders & they have just what I need.
I use the same tools to port my 460 heads, Man what a difference.
Neil

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
makita die grinders are as good of die grinder as you'll find. Some cheaper ones may do the trick just fine if this is the last set you port. (once your about halfway done you may already decide that its your last port job):D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Check out C&CSpecialty.com out in Murfreesboro Tenn. They offer all sizes of porting tool kits.
I port 2 cycle cylinders & they have just what I need.
I use the same tools to port my 460 heads, Man what a difference.
Neil
Actually...... http://www.ccspecialtytool.com/catalog

You can also get lots of supplies from Mondello. Link is to the Table of Contents page of his catalog. Kind of a bitch to navigate but they have everything you could ever need.
http://www.mondello.com/pages/toc_1.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts