460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test fit my k-member I bought from Gerry. I think I might have a problem. Follow me here and try not to get lost!

On the frame rail, between the front 2 k-member bolt holes is a hole in the frame. The hole is approx. 1" OD. It also appears the hole bells out at the bottom. IE; the frame rail is not flat from bolt hole to bolt hole. So the flat plate of the k-member hits the bell of the 1" hole first and leaves about 1/4" of gap until the flat plate would be touching the frame rail.

Make sense?

Any ideas? can I just tighten it up? The plate would be bowed if I did.

Gerry, if you see this, did your car have this problem?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Can you simply take a grinder and grind that 'bell' smooth? I don't recall my car having a 'bell' there.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either that or maybe beat it flat with a hammer. I'll dig into it more this weekend.

I think this protruding "bell" is why the AJE k-member has 2 small protruding tubes which bolt to the frame. It mimics the stock k-member mounting setup. The D&D has just a flat plate which appears will get in the way.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is it possible that the hole became deformed by a tow hook? Maybe if the car was winched onto a flat bed tow truck. I'd sugest the application of a handfull of heat and a BFH.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuck Stevens said:
Is it possible that the hole became deformed by a tow hook? Maybe if the car was winched onto a flat bed tow truck. I'd sugest the application of a handfull of heat and a BFH.
No. I'll have to throw up a pic. The hole was covered by the original k-member. It's just that the mounting area of the original k is not flat where the new one is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts