460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 D1VE block for the build I'm gathering parts for.

I've noticed a few things about it that I'm not sure are issues or not and need some input.

#1 - Three of the lifter bores look to have been sleeved or something. I assume this was from a failure of some kind that caused damage? So that's concerning. Also, the bores on the re-sleeved bores have a much rougher feel than the untouched factory bores. I can feel little ridges with my fingers. I am new to engine building but I assume that that is not good. What are my options here?
Pictures below.

#2 - On all eight of the cylinder bore walls there are black stains. Some near the top, some near the bottom, some in the middle. What are these stains? And this is after the block had been honed.

#3 - There is quite a bit of rust inside the water passages. And I assume the oil passages too. Some rust would be expected due to the age of the block, but I was getting chunks the size of my thumbnail when I was poking around in there. I wouldn't think that a bunch of rust particles moving through the oil/water passages would be good. I would think that could screw up the oil/water pumps pretty easily. Not to mention making the coolant red-brown and potentially hurting the block's ability to cool down....?

Is block rust a large problem? Is this block weaker because of it?
I've seen some rust removal products but not sure I want to fill the block with those, not sure if that's an option or what.

I would prefer not to have to find another block, but if these issues are going to cause problems sooner and/or later, I'll find another block.

Thanks for any advice!

-Ian, TX

·
Super Moderator
5,001 Posts
I'm no expert and others will have an opinion but...

It may be the pictures or it may be that I'm color blind but that hone job looks terrible.

I'm thinking those dark spots are low spots in the cylinder the hone job didn't get.

I think the lifter bushings were installed and still need to be honed to make them smooth.

I'm pretty sure that block needs some serious machine shop help to make it useable.

Let's see what some others have to say.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What's the bore size now and have to tried fitting the lifters in the bores? It could have been unfinished machine work. Sleeves installed but not finished and bore honed to check for bad spots.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not a machinist or engine builder either.

If I had to guess, I think those lifter bores were sleeved because the casting around those bores is damaged. Maybe the block was just a crappy casting to begin with or it was damaged and somebody was trying to save it by sleeving the bores.

The dark areas of the cylinder walls are areas that the honing didn't hit- so the bore is out of round or oversize in those areas.

My guess is that somebody was going to use this block, started with sleeving the lifter bores, and when they realized it needed to be bored oversize never finished with the work on the lifter bores and found another block.

You should too...

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
  • Those lifter bore sleeves are factory installed so as to make use of an otherwise marginally cast cylinder block
  • Based on the specific locations of the discoloration inside the cylinders, I'd say the engine/block was overheated somewhere in its life

The engine block is fine for a stock rebuilder engine and if properly prepped could last another hundred thousand miles in such an application. On the other hand if you are investing in a high performance build then it would be prudent to set this block aside and start with a better suited cylinder block for the intended performance use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • Those lifter bore sleeves are factory installed so as to make use of an otherwise marginally cast cylinder block
  • Based on the specific locations of the discoloration inside the cylinders, I'd say the engine/block was overheated somewhere in its life

The engine block is fine for a stock rebuilder engine and if properly prepped could last another hundred thousand miles in such an application. On the other hand if you are investing in a high performance build then it would be prudent to set this block aside and start with a better suited cylinder block for the intended performance use.
Thanks very much Mr. Kane, I appreciate your input.

Thanks to everyone else also; I'll be hunting down another block.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks very much Mr. Kane, I appreciate your input.
Thanks to everyone else also; I'll be hunting down another block.
You'll have piece of mind by doing that. What are you building for? I know a guy in Aurora, Co that has standard bore, 4 bolt main, 429CJ blocks for sell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll have piece of mind by doing that. What are you building for? I know a guy in Aurora, Co that has standard bore, 4 bolt main, 429CJ blocks for sell.
I'm building a roughly 600 HP motor to put into an 80s truck.

Would the guy in CO ship?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
SubSonic, I too may have a block here at the shop and we do ship. Call me directly at High Flow Dynamics if you're interested.

·
Registered
180 Posts
those look like hot spots, and the lifter bores have been bushed that hone looks like a drill hone ehhh I wouldn't touch it there is better out there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts