460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ****, i am not having any luck at all with this service.

My power steering pump is blowing out fluid as soon as you fill it and turn the wheel. The GEARbox looks good and solid, all of it is dry, but i got a rebuild kit for that also, might as well right?

The current issue is that I cannot get that pulley of, does anyone have any experience or insight?
I will have to buy a new pulley removal tool tomorrow (h**bor f****t). but holding the shaft with a crescent wrench does not even get close to budging the pulley.

Spent a good two hours lubing and changing tools, would some crows feet type work more? I cant get enough space in there with the shroud still on it, and can't remove the shroud without pulling the clutch fan which i dont really want to do...

Should I get a new pulley for the new pump as it did not come with one?

video and photo for refrence

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
YOU NEED A PULLER, THOSE PRESS ON. THEY DO NOT SCREW ON

Reactions: theteethoflove

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No other way than the correct tool , need the tool to refit also
Yes I was using the correct tool, I was told a better quality one with make the job easier.

ive has mixed information from what to use to REMOVE the pulley vs INSTALL

using the rounded off style to push into the roller pin and extract the pulley or should I use the screw type insert to screw inside the roller to then pull the pulley off

having a tea terrible time doing this. Hahaha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This or one like it. Use the one in the upper right of the description.Uses 2 wrenches but takes some muscle to get it starting to move.Nothing is screwed into the pump shaft for removal.
had to borrow some tools from a friend,

for the installation I did use the HF installation aspect of it, after I had to drill File and tap it again.
and I had to drill a hole into the old pulley since I forgot to get a new one, hopefully I aligned it right..

·
Registered
12 Posts
i went thru this. its ridiculous how they do it but were stuck with this nonsense.
having said that,
its almost fun using the right tools, the right way...
i truly believe it could be made just like the alternator.
gm,chrysler,ford, others, all different tools for same job...live with it...its crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts