460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is the place for the non-460 questions, Does anyone know anyhting about the 6.4L Powerstroke engines? My Father-in-Law's has been to the Ford dealerhip about 25 times now with poor run performance. He has the Edge Juice with Attitude chip and noticed, through the Edge's monitor, that it is running about 54 psi exhaust pressure with 20psi boost and it regens alot. I think the DPF filter is plugged, but Ford keeps replacing PRm's, ECM's, sensors, etc, etc. and will not touch or listen to him on the exhaust psi readings. If there are any diesel guys out there, what do you think? Am I on to something with the DPF filter? Thanks all!

·
Registered
373 Posts
http://www.thedieselstop.com/ is a good site post up over there and see what they say.

but my granpa had a 6.0 and we finelly gave up on it and traded it in on a duramax and it has been a good truck just like his 7.3 was but he just could not trust for enough to go to the new (at the time) 6.4. good luck.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
First thing I'll tell you to do when it rolls in my shop is loose all that edge crap, makes my life tougher.

DPF could be plugged, but why would be the concern, edge don't help again. Lots of stuff can cause it, how often is the oil changed? fuel filter? The little stuff is real important on these engines and people are lazier than you think.

I'm known as a bit of a dick over on the nation, sometimes the truth hurts lol.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I think he's still sore from the last time;):D

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
ive seen a lot of sooted doc on the 6.4l the tuners dump a lot of fuel and its the doc/dpf's job to catch all of it.get rid of the tuner or get rid of yor exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First thing I'll tell you to do when it rolls in my shop is loose all that edge crap, makes my life tougher.

DPF could be plugged, but why would be the concern, edge don't help again. Lots of stuff can cause it, how often is the oil changed? fuel filter? The little stuff is real important on these engines and people are lazier than you think.

I'm known as a bit of a dick over on the nation, sometimes the truth hurts lol.
As far as the maintenance items, I can guarantee you that they are all taken care of!!!!(he owns & operates a heavy haul truck shop, semi stuff!!) The truck only has 19k. on it. He had Ford replace the fuel filter and oil @ around 12k when it was tied up in the dealership AGAIN!!! I have changed oil a couple times myself. They just keep dumping stuff into it guessing, leaving him w/o a truck to drive.
You say the Edge could be sooting things up? According to the monitor of the Edge, 20psi boost = 55 psi exhaust psi? WOW!! I would say that the Ford boys need to take owners word for it and replace DPF stuff, but who am I to say!!! Thanks for the info man!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll check out some of these other sites too and see what happens!! Thank-you guys!!!!!

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Is he just using it as a comuter truck? Lots of short trips? Never really working it?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
As far as the maintenance items, I can guarantee you that they are all taken care of!!!!(he owns & operates a heavy haul truck shop, semi stuff!!) The truck only has 19k. on it. He had Ford replace the fuel filter and oil @ around 12k when it was tied up in the dealership AGAIN!!! I have changed oil a couple times myself. They just keep dumping stuff into it guessing, leaving him w/o a truck to drive.
You say the Edge could be sooting things up? According to the monitor of the Edge, 20psi boost = 55 psi exhaust psi? WOW!! I would say that the Ford boys need to take owners word for it and replace DPF stuff, but who am I to say!!! Thanks for the info man!!!!
No doubt there is a huge imbalance there.

We do make the owner remove any and all aftermarket junk before performing any drivability issues. Or we tell them to take it someplace else.

Even though they may do their own oil changes and stuff how often? what type of oil?

Rekon the owner needs to get a job at Ford...........................even though it may be the concern nothing rubs me the wrong way than a smart *** telling me how to do my job.............with parts on the truck Ford never installed............

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Its like I'm talking to myself lol.

There are other things to plug the system up besides the DPF, If he is so fired sure thats it then I say tell them to stick one on it, and when the concern is still present bill the owner for the self diagnosed DPF...........

Another thing on the EBP reading, does the Edge use EPB_A or EBP_G for a reference? The MPG is MAP with the BARO subtracted, if the Edge uses EBP_A then is will not have the BARO subtracted, thus making the EBP seem high. 50 psi of drive pressure biased some 14 psi from an aftermarket tuner subtract the 20 psi boost pressure then the drive is not out of line.

Have seen a lot of fuel contaminated oil from extended oil change intervals cause lots of issues. Had to shortblock one already from a tractor dealership that "does all their own services" for lack of oil change...........you'd think of all people...............I guess when its not on their dime..

·
Registered
685 Posts
The all new (FORD BUILT) 6.7L will be out early 2010! junk the 6.4L!!!

Jon:

Bruno wanted me to tell you something!!

He said " John looks like Rich for pinks-all-out"

ha!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts