460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody using one of these to supply vaccum to their brakes. I am in desperate need of more vaccum. It gets kind of scary sometimes not having hardly any vaccum and needing to stop :shock: I heard that durability is kind of an issue but don't remember though.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The vacumn pumps on the powerstrokes aren't very dependable, just from my exp. My buddy runs one on his sled pulling/street truck from the Summit cat. It seems to work really good. Rick

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well after mine broke, it locked up solid :shock:, on my 97, I bought the cheapo from UnAdvanced... POFS. It works, but braking is spotty, at best.

Brian

·
Registered
729 Posts
hydrobosst x2

Look for a 88-97 F350 hydroboost. Are you running rear disc or drums? There is a choice of master cylinders to match the rear brakes.

Some people even use the original prop valve or they just gut it and use it for a distribution block.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My 1997 F250 with a Powerstroke has 204,000 miles on it. The original pump went out at 110,000 miles and the new pump from Ford is still working good.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
the problem with them is the little screw holding the cap on the rear comes out, the cap falls off and the lube goes everywhere, then it locks up.Other than that they are pretty good pumps. The hydroboost is the way to roll........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vacuum pump

I ran one for several years, the only problem i had was getting the pully lined up, and not having mech adjustment. The pump itself worked fine. I finally went to an electric pump and am satisfied with it.
Bob

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Monstermiler said:
hydrobosst x2

Look for a 88-97 F350 hydroboost. Are you running rear disc or drums? There is a choice of master cylinders to match the rear brakes.

Some people even use the original prop valve or they just gut it and use it for a distribution block.
I've got disks on the front, drums on back. I kind of thought our F-350 would have hydroboost but was surprised to find the vacuum pump :shock:

·
Registered
729 Posts
The 1988-1997 gas F-350s I have seen from back then had hydrobbost and I know the parts house shows a hydrobbost unit avaialable. One thing you will want to do if you upgrade to hydroboost is to get the matching master cylinder for rear drums. Also check into 78-79 F350 rear wheel cylinders. They should be direct bolt ons. Use the prop valve you have now with no mods. With these mods you should be able to plant you face on the windshield. :lol:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sorry I meant 88-97 for the hyrdoboost and the 73-79 for the F350 rear wheel cylinders. I forget what year the hydroboost unit went to metric fittings, but there are adapters available to use AN fittings.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have had both good and bad luck from Advance. Take a look at the this Bendix Hydro unit R2770433. Things to watch for might have to make an adpater plate to mount and the rod length may have to be changed. Also look at the new Bendix master cylinder 12197. Your original master cylinder has an 1-1/16 bore and the Bendix is 1-1/8. It will make the pedal feel a little harder but will deliver more fluid. I prefer Bendix over most brands and I always try to buy a new master cylinders when I can. I do have the Ford or motorcraft numbers too. Just need a day or so to dig those up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, I picked up a used hydroboost from a coworkers friend, and wondering if there is a special high pressure -an hose to handle the hydraulic pressure from the pump. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can switch the fittings to -an, but not sure what to buy to get it to work. I don't know if I could get custom hoses made anywhere to be able to hook it up or not. Pressure is coming from the factory truck power steering pump(the one with the plastic housing)

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all, you need to ditch the plastic pump. You'll really need to install a Saginaw 'canned-ham' power steering pump, since the Ford/Thompson unit (the round 'pencil-neck' style) is generally considered inadequate for the Hydroboost, and the plastic pumps aren't the best choice either. Ford only used the Saginaw pump on their vans and luxury cars (which typically don't have the same engines as our trucks), and I've found through my research that you can order a Saginaw pump (PN 20-6244) which is a special-built item as a replacement to the '78-'79 truck's plastic/aluminum pump, but has a similar bolt pattern as the Thompson units so it'll bolt up to your stock Thompson pump brackets, but it's got a custom pulley shaft that is slightly longer as required. (The shaft on a standard Saginaw pump is not long enough to work with the adaptor bracket.) This pump has been kinda hard to find, but if you press the parts counter guy he should be able to locate one for you. Many parts stores will show this number as good, but then run into problems actually trying to get one. Be persistent...they're out there!

You'll also have to upgrade the power steering hose to a '78-'79 model rig which is the newer version of what you have now, unless you have a F250 4x4 then you are probably going to have to have a custom hose made.

I'd highly suggest reading the forums at Hydratech Braking to pick up as much information as you can. While you can get junkyard Hydroboost setups from various vehicles, there are a couple (like the Mustangs) that you need to avoid. They even have a direct bolt-in kit for the '68-'78 Ford F-Series trucks.

A Hydroboost power booster is hooked up in series with the power steering gear pressure line and then a return line is tee'ed in with the power steering return line right next to the reservoir. (Or can be piped directly into the reservoir, which is how most came from the factory). The return line needs to be either right into the pump reservoir or right next to the pump. If it isn't, then backpressure on it can cause the booster to do weird stuff. Here's a graphic I whipped up showing how the lines need to run if using the 'T' method of connecting the Hydroboost's return line, instead of the preferred dual-return Saginaw pump which is plumbed directly into the pump reservoir:

Hope this helps....good luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The hydroboost I got is off an old chevy motorhome. It came with a pump but I would rather stick to the pump I have. Is the pump I have not able to keep up with the demand of the hydroboost or what?? I really don't feel like making brakets to put on this stupid looking pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It'll probably work for a while, but the stock plastic pump simply isn't as sturdy as the Saginaw. The special Saginaw pump I mentioned above will work with your stock brackets, so it's a direct bolt-in, no mods required. I highly recommend going this route. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

As far as the Hydroboost unit itself, you'll have to fabricate your own firewall mounting bracket.

You should go to Broncofix.com and do a search for "Hydroboost". The swap is a very popular one with the off-roading crowd, and it's been discussed there many times...you'll pick up a LOT of really good info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts