460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just enough time to get a couple of pics before I had to get busy putting out the fire. It was about a 1/2 mile wide and ran for close to 6 miles before they got it put out. First pic is a neighbor of mine with his tractor and disk and the second is the fire dept loading me with water.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention the little breeze we had today to help this fire. 30-40mph wind from the south.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Grass fires are a nasty thing to put out lot worse with the winds. Hope ir didn't burn up anything important.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily there were no houses in the path, and noone got hurt or lost anything.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
schmitty , what size nozzles in the sprayer? 30gallon/acre work pretty good in my 284 Hagie - 82 ft boom 90psi-12mph ,wets it down pretty good
Frank

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got some CPI nozzles. They are adjustable orfice nozzles in 5gpa to 60gpa 75ft booms. Floaters don't run a lot of pressure compared to a highboy spayer. 40psi or so. I had them cranked up and layed down about 200gpa or so. The 60gpa nozzles setting is for running about 15mph or so and I was only going about 5mph. We'll just say that it was muddy behind me. :lol: I'm still learning this machine, my other sprayer is a CaseIH Patriot 3185. That machine is great for doing burndown work and row spraying but it sucks for fertilizer work. It has too small of a pump and too small of a tank. 750 gal on the Case and 1650 gal on the floater, and when its a little muddy in the fields I can go with the floater where the row machine just leaves a big ole nasty track. I looked at a lot of sprayers before I bought the Case but the Hagie sprayers are hard to find around here, from what I learned they are a real good machine.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
We bought our Hagie 6 years ago , we use to hire out our spraying until we had a bug wreck with our airiel sprayer guys ,they claimed they sprayed our 3 ,1/4 sections of Alfalfa seed with malathion , turns out they didn't -sprayed straight water !!! took them 10 days to get back to respray and recharge us and Dad & me lost $500,000.00 in seed production and my Dad would not let me sue , but the next spring I had a new Hagie to run . We farm 640 acres of irrigated land here and I put an average of 150 hrs a year on the machine . 284 Hagie -82 ft booms- Raven monitor- Outback GPS S2 , after spraying a field and logging it , I could go back and spray in the dark and not miss a sq/ft
Frank

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have done my own spraying for several years now for the same reasons. Timing and knowing what was put on for chemicals and rates. I used a tractor mounted sprayer for a couple of years and got tired of putting a lot of hrs on an expensive tractor. I bought the Case last year and loved it and this year I bought the floater. Each machine is necessary in my opinion. I have a commercial applicator liscense so I can do custom work and it seems a lot of people are interested in hiring me, so it will be a little income earner on the side. We farm about 1000 acres of irrigated corn and beans. I have a half pivot of alfalfa too. We also farm about 600 acres of dryland. I have gone to chem fallow on the dryland so a sprayer is a huge cost savings to me. In the summer I do a lot of hay, about 1000 bales of grass hay and then the alfalfa. Is your alfalfa strictly for seed production or do you bale some of it also?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
All Certified Alfalfa seed on contact , usually our big money crop , $1500 an acre gross
Frank
Ps , running the Hagie at night on Gps is like playing a vidieo game

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have any products that I would spray at night. I have a Raven controller and the Raven Starlink guidance system. The Starlink is just a GPS swath type guidance, but it is all that I need right now. I would like to upgrade to the Viper and have the booms wired for auto shutoff on individual nozzles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts