460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to fire up my first 460. So far I have primed the oil pump, gotten #1 cyl. on the compression stroke by rotating the crank until the #1 intake valve closes, then continuing to rotate until 12 deg. BTDC shows up on the timing pointer. The truck has an electric fuel pump, so filling the carburetor bowls should not be a problem. When I install the distributor, I plan on pointing the rotor at #1 spark plug wire, then removing the #1 spark plug, grounding it, and turning the distributor until the plug sparks. I figure this will get the timing close enough to start the engine and run at 2000 rpm for the cam break-in. (I have some zddp addative for that) I will do the fine tuning of timing and carb after the cam break-in. Have I missed anything? Does anyone have any other suggestions?:)

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Don't just let it sit and run at 2000 rpm's vary the rpms' the whole 20 minutes. I usually vary from 2000-2800 rpms slowly for the cam break in. I also always have another vehicle hooked to the one I am firing the new engine in to avoid battery issues. Other than that sounds like your on the right track.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
A person to help check for leaks and other issues, a secondary fan for extra cooling. Timing light and fresh battery as mentioned earlier would be a good idea. Some sort of mufflers so that you can hear what is happening is a good thing too.
Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts