460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mostly stock 72 Mach1 running a mild 429 and a toploader. I just bought some 275/60/15 Quick Times and I need some advice. My 60ft times currently suck, best around the 2.3 sec mark.
What pressures should I run in the QTs - or where to start from?
I lost traction on them on the strip already a couple of times. I've only been doing a dry hop to clean them. Should I do a water burnout and if so, how long for?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I have a mostly stock 72 Mach1 running a mild 429 and a toploader. I just bought some 275/60/15 Quick Times and I need some advice. My 60ft times currently suck, best around the 2.3 sec mark.
What pressures should I run in the QTs - or where to start from?
I lost traction on them on the strip already a couple of times. I've only been doing a dry hop to clean them. Should I do a water burnout and if so, how long for?
I know your thread starter is several months old, but I ran across this on a Hoosier tire site.

"2. What is the proper burn out procedure for Hoosier drag tires?

ANSWER: With Hoosier's "high traction" compounds, we have found the following burn out procedure to work for most cars. We recommend rolling through the water box to wet the tires. Start the burn out. Once the tires start to "haze", start to slow the burn out down and proceed to the start line. The goal of the burn out is to clean all debris off the tires and heat the just the surface of the tread.

Again this procedure will work for most cars, but fine tuning the procedure for your car may be needed"

I also read a burnout deal where you can get some of these tires too hot and they get greasy or start to ball up the rubber. I'd go back to manufactures recommended pressure and start looking at the tire after a burnout.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Start @ 20 psi and take out 1 psi after each run....................don't go too low, because it will feel like your on a ice skating ring...lol

Cheers, Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts