460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of the pro Comp 3051c 460 heads that are suppose to be 300cc runners and 75cc combustion chamber with 2.19 and 1.71 valves. These were complete heads. I traded some work for them so I had about $500 into them. I took them to my machinist B&L machine in Anaheim,CA he was the machinist for Ford performance solutions (now Pacific Performance Solutions) The Valves were correct size. They seated properly and had no leaks. The casting looked good. The cc for the combustion chamber was actually 85cc. They now show the part number being 95cc (they are off by 10cc either way). The valve springs are set up for more of a solid lifter cam. I'm doing a solid roller. The springs psi was rated about 150lbs and up to .650" lift. I ordered the Isky 9375 plus' for them. I'm putting Harland Sharps on them (1.73). So far the pushrod geometry and roller tip centerline to Valve tip is good. They flowed what they said. I haven't ran the motor yet. The cam is a Doug Herbert Racing solid roller @.50 .244 on each side .642" on each side with a centerline of 106 and lobe center of 110. I'm keeping the torker II intake Manifold along with a prepped 850 Speed Demon and Basset wetstacks. The motor is a 429 with stock bottom end DOVE A block and .30 over 2366 TRWs. I'm a little pissed that my compression ratio drops from 10.4 to 9.6. The cam needs at least 9.5:1 from what the manufacturer said so we"ll see. In the mean time I'm going to go through the DOVE A heads install bigger valves same type of spring 5 angle valve job with a bowl cleaning and gasket match to throw on and see what the radar gun says from those heads compared to the Pro comps. The Stock motor with the same intake and exhaust went 60mph. So we'll see what the heads and cam change are worth. Then I'll go ahead and put the DOVE A's on and see from there. Just thought I would share my experience with the heads because of all the rumors and non rumors about them. the pump on the boat is a Dominator stage 2 A trim aluminum impeller from GS Marine. It's rated to about 6000rpm in a 19' Charger semi V. If anybody has any advise or questions it would be greatly appreciated and will be looking forward to posting the numbers.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
YEA WELCOME TO THE FORUM,

i am doing somewhat the same except i'm swapping pro-comps for TFS streets on a 2,500 tube chassis 1/4 mile car. I've been running the procomps for almost 3 years and have had no problem with them, i think you will enjoy the improvement from the pro-comps over the DOVE's. i think you will find that the procomp heads have a very thick deck which you can mill considerable material off and gain the compression you are after.

good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have mine (cnc ported assembled) at the machine shop. The valve guides are way to tight, the valves will not seat, the cnc machine distroyed the exhaust seats, the port finish is not verry nice. These things did not turn out to be any kind of bargain. But they look like they will be okay when these issues get resolved. I wish I had bought some TFS or Kaase or Edelbrock or .... anything instead of these bloody Hong Kong Krapola procomp.

If anyone reading this is considering buying these things, DON'T, and if you must than for the love of all that is holy get the bare ones. Just because they are sold as "assembled" doesn't mean assembled PROPERLY. The couple of hundred you will save over a set of more reputable heads WILL be spent at a machinist to get them to work right.

These are not the words of a hater. But the words of a dissatisfied customer.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mike

I had a simular expeirnece with a set of Procomp BBC heads. By the time all the corrections were made, it tookeo away the effect of the bargin. I was fortunate to have a friend to have done the labor and trade work and I weredable to resale them for a profit ans buy the better head I had considered in the beginning. :wink:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
hey sheffield, cut the crap, you said in your first post that the heads were at your machine shop and they were quote:

I picked up a set of the pro Comp 3051c 460 heads that are suppose to be 300cc runners and 75cc combustion chamber with 2.19 and 1.71 valves. These were complete heads. I traded some work for them so I had about $500 into them. I took them to my machinist B&L machine in Anaheim,CA he was the machinist for Ford performance solutions (now Pacific Performance Solutions) The Valves were correct size. They seated properly and had no leaks. The casting looked good. The cc for the combustion chamber was actually 85cc. They now show the part number being 95cc (they are off by 10cc either way). The valve springs are set up for more of a solid lifter cam. I'm doing a solid roller. The springs psi was rated about 150lbs and up to .650" lift. I ordered the Isky 9375 plus' for them. I'm putting Harland Sharps on them (1.73). So far the pushrod geometry and roller tip centerline to Valve tip is good. They flowed what they said. I haven't ran the motor yet. The cam is a Doug Herbert Racing solid roller @.50 .244 on each side .642" on each side with a centerline of 106 and lobe center of 110. I'm keeping the torker II intake Manifold along with a prepped 850 Speed Demon and Basset wetstacks. The motor is a 429 with stock bottom end DOVE A block and .30 over 2366 TRWs. I'm a little pissed that my compression ratio drops from 10.4 to 9.6. The cam needs at ....................

Now it is a different story, and since you traded someone for them how do you know they didn'y change anything on the heads....you don't. just blame the manufacture who did not sell you anything. i'll make sure not to answer anymore of your posts since you say one thing then change your story later....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me Charlie. I bought those things from one of pro comps authorised dealers they where "out of the box ready to run" :roll: when the machinist discovered the problems. now that being said they will probably make good hp but defenetly not good value for the $ (at least in that form. for someone who has the tools and skills to port and assemble them himself they would probably be okay)

·
Registered
117 Posts
pro comp

Here's my pro comp story, and yes stay far away from these pieces of ****. Took my pro craps off of my 533 to have them cc'd found out that the cambers where 93 cc's not the 74 as they were advertised. Sent the heads to the machine shop to have them shaved down. Get a phone call from the machine shop, valves are the right size as advertised 2.19 in 1.76 ex but the seats are for valves way smaller. So the heads were milled 0.100" to get 75 cc cambers had the seats cut to properly fit the valves. So with the cost of the heads at 1760.00 new valves and machine work I'm at $2800.00 with only 11 passes on these heads. I wish I had a time machine.

1964 Fairlane
533 C6 4500 stall 4.56 9 inch 30" tire
best et 10.78
Going to the track soon to test the fixed up pro craps.

Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about purchasing a set of these heads

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Hey Charlie,
Someone said all about this when those heads first appeared about 2 years ago and also that it would be best to buy them bare and have them built.
If it was REAL "Face to Face" back then he would have been stoned to death; I guess little by little "it's all coming out in the wash".

:wink: :p 8) :!:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just cammed a 532 with a set of Pro Comps untouch. Based the camshaft off of the posted flow numbers. This is a Jetboat application. Engine was designed to go to 6300 peak which should have pulled the pump to around 5800 with customers set up.

Long story short engine laid over at 5500. She would not go on the dyno. Something was holding it back and all area's pointed to the heads. Since talking with others this head is suited for someone who is after a good engine that is looking to make 600HP and 650#/ft of torque. The engine does run the 19tft jet ot 84mph at 5100 rpm but the customer has decided he wants power so we are going with a set of BT.

So Jetboat if you looking for a good 600HP engine then you should be there. If your looking for more then you will need to find another head.

D

·
0 Posts
feetfirst said:
cougar1969 said:
oh no here we go again... :shock:
lol..............wonder where Dfree has been? :p

Be nice to see the head swap results.............keep us posted 8)
I've just been keeping quiet...... too many candy azzes had their panties in a bunch over these wonderful procomp parts.......LOL

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
dfree383 said:
feetfirst said:
cougar1969 said:
oh no here we go again... :shock:
lol..............wonder where Dfree has been? :p

Be nice to see the head swap results.............keep us posted 8)
I've just been keeping quiet...... too many candy azzes had their panties in a bunch over these wonderful procomp parts.......LOL
Glad to see my old friend Dave is back & badder than ever... Looking forward to seeing you again at the Bash in a couple of weeks... :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts