460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i really wanted to give some real hard numbers here but i din't get that many runs in this past weekend at Baytown. After removing the pro-comp heads from my 524 i installed a set of out of the box TFS 429/460 Tittainum set up heads w/ 162 roller springs ect; ect;;; I found NO sign of detination or piston burn and the Diamond pistons still looked new after 2 years of bracket racing. Upon installing the TFS heads i did do a port match on the Victor intake which i had not done w/ the pro-comps so there will be a small gain from that modification. the TFS heads with the port match picked up 1/2 second and 8 mile an hour. this is without spray.

then i tried to make some runs w/ the spray and had trouble holding the car straight. with the car spinning the tires and fish tailing i managed a 1/8 mile pass of 6.20 @ 118MPH tried another pass and the same thing when the front wheels came down and the car was out about 150 feet it got really hard to hold and i had to abort. the temp was easy 110 degrees and the track was slicker than bugger butter so i trailered the old heap and came home. My opinion is that the car has the potential to run 6.00 without spray and possibly in good air 5.50 in the 1/8th on a 175 shot with the TFS heads.........my best ET with the pro comps 10.18 @ 130 on motor and 9.60 @ 136 in 1/4 and 6.00 1/8 mile w/ 175 shot. there is no doubt the car is much more powerful with the TFS heads but much harder to handle at least on a slick hot track with NOS. The procomp heads do have there place and can make a very good bracket motor. i think the pro-comp heads would be very good street heads with some porting work they would really do well on the street.

i think we got most of the bugs worked out of the car and are headed to the BBF Bash tomorrow with a stop off in Mo. so my son can visit with his girlfriend :oops: we should arrive at Windy Hollow around noon thursday, and look forward to meeting the folks from the forum. well most of 'em.... :roll: maybe just maybe we can get the o'le heap to run a 5.50 or 5.60 and help Bruno spank some AZZ............ :wink:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
HEMI-HUNTER said:
well, i really wanted to give some real hard numbers here but i din't get that many runs in this past weekend at Baytown. After removing the pro-comp heads from my 524 i installed a set of out of the box TFS 429/460 Tittainum set up heads w/ 162 roller springs ect; ect;;; I found NO sign of detination or piston burn and the Diamond pistons still looked new after 2 years of bracket racing. Upon installing the TFS heads i did do a port match on the Victor intake which i had not done w/ the pro-comps so there will be a small gain from that modification. the TFS heads with the port match picked up 1/2 second and 8 mile an hour. this is without spray.

then i tried to make some runs w/ the spray and had trouble holding the car straight. with the car spinning the tires and fish tailing i managed a 1/8 mile pass of 6.20 @ 118MPH tried another pass and the same thing when the front wheels came down and the car was out about 150 feet it got really hard to hold and i had to abort. the temp was easy 110 degrees and the track was slicker than bugger butter so i trailered the old heap and came home. My opinion is that the car has the potential to run 6.00 without spray and possibly in good air 5.50 in the 1/8th on a 175 shot with the TFS heads.........my best ET with the pro comps 10.18 @ 130 on motor and 9.60 @ 136 in 1/4 and 6.00 1/8 mile w/ 175 shot. there is no doubt the car is much more powerful with the TFS heads but much harder to handle at least on a slick hot track with NOS. The procomp heads do have there place and can make a very good bracket motor. i think the pro-comp heads would be very good street heads with some porting work they would really do well on the street.

i think we got most of the bugs worked out of the car and are headed to the BBF Bash tomorrow with a stop off in Mo. so my son can visit with his girlfriend :oops: we should arrive at Windy Hollow around noon thursday, and look forward to meeting the folks from the forum. well most of 'em.... :roll: maybe just maybe we can get the o'le heap to run a 5.50 or 5.60 and help Bruno spank some AZZ............ :wink:

Hemi-Hunter,

Glad you made the swap. 1/2 second reduction in e.t., and +8 mph on pure motor is a big gain. :shock: Blowing the tires off, and overpowering the track is a good problem to have isn't it? :D :wink:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
richter69 said:
Toldja............. :wink:
Now that is funny :lol:

so is Hemi-Hunter vs. Randy going down at the bash???? :shock:

Get the popcorn out, this is going to be some good ole racing! :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
richter69 said:
Toldja............. :wink:
Now that is funny :lol:

so is Hemi-Hunter vs. Randy going down at the bash???? :shock:

Get the popcorn out, this is going to be some good ole racing! :D

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i doubt i'll be doing any big time wheelies at the bash. :roll: well. maybe a couple but i'm try'en to hold the car down so i can drive the ANIMAL!!!! :? anyway were leaving as we type... :lol: i hope it don't rain .. yahoo weather says rain thunderstorms on friday and chance of thunderstorms on Sat.... i guess we'll just have to be fast enough to dodge those rain drops.. hell we got a FORD BIG BLOCK so were in good shape.... 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Chip. drive safe & I hope you have a couple of spare tires for the trailer. We left on Wednsday afternoon last year for the Bash & had two blow outs on my trailer. Didn't make it but about 4 hrs from home & had to hold up until morning to get to a tire store. At 9:00AM the next morning we were back on the road with 4 new trailer tires & $375 on my credit card. :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
HEMI-HUNTER said:

Were the pro comp the c&c version or the standard cast version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts