460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these ok for the money? I already know all the stories about the cyl heads, (richter69, no need to reply)its just that they are almost 200 bucks less money than some of the others....hell I have tv's that are made in china and japan and they work fine (electrical items)they come with the backer and 1 hose adapter, so do any of you guys use one (if your not afraid to admit it) pros?.....cons? thanks...Mike

·
Registered
816 Posts
I put one on friends SBF, it cracked at the base as soon as i tighten it. CallED jegs & they said it happens all the time,so I sent it back for a CSR.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No not really

We had the place we brought ours from send us 3 different pumps because everyone of them leaked on us without even turning the pumps on, the pump motors would just pour like a sieve, not the backing plate of any of the hoses but the motor themselves. We finally ordered a Mezeire and never have has any problems and just bought another one for our truck. Just to show how cheap they are, we tried to send back the final 2 motors alone that the company sent to us and they told us not to worry because it would cost as much to fix them as it would to just get new ones from the manufacturer so they told us to keep them and use as spares! We have a cheap friend that went and put a tube of calking around the whole thing and runs one on his car now :)

Doug

·
Registered
816 Posts
Water in front of your tires, is not a good thing when your going down the track. Not trying to bash Pro Comp, but it's like going to harbor frieght to buy your tools. You can't expect much from them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
water pump

i bought one and never used it. i sold it to a guy and the motor went up in smoke the first time he plugged it up. i had a set of the heads and they were'nt bad, just needed some smothing up of the bowls. but they are what they are. a cheap upgrade over stockers. i got mine mostly for the weight savings.

steve

·
Registered
823 Posts
I wouldn't run ProComp. Low quality parts, gotta be saving money somewhere. Aside from the reported poor quality, I generally avoid buying Chinee junk when there is an American alternative. Especially with our economy in the crapper every bit helps. Also think of it this way, how much money will you save after you've had to replace the ProComp pump and waste your time if under warranty and possibly eventually buy a good quality pump to replace the slanty eyed engineering? My time and aggrivation alone is worth the difference in price, not to mention the money spent doing it right the second time around.

Beyond that, I've run a Japanese mechanical pump on a small block before. Bearings went and it started leaking in under a year of daily driving. I will confess I have one ProComp part on my truck (before I kne any better). It's a drop pitman arm. Seems comprable to reputable brands as far as size and weight, but then again it doesn't really move. If I ever get back into off roading seriously I may replace it just to be safe, last thing I need is a pitman arm breaking on the highway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i ran a pro comp mechanical water pump on my 460 in my 87 stang. I used the stock ford backing plate and it worked fine for 2 seasons then i sold the car. never had a problem with it. I now have one on a small chevy and it works great too. I'm canadian so i can buy from any country i feel like because nobody makes one here!
Brian

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a procomp pump on my daily driver, 4 years and 50,000 miles & doesn't leak a drop. I have 2 of the 460 pumps on 2 trucks one 2,000 miles the other 4,000 miles. I like their pumps. I have sold over 200 Procomp pumps & not a single complaint.
Van

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, it looks like even a water pump is not all that great from Pro-Comp...I was hoping that it would be ok just being an electric motor and some tubing...oh well looks like I'm going to buy that Moroso electric pump that goes directly where the BBF stock one goes....it looks like a very nice piece.....thanks for the input....Mike

NOTE...dont want to be mean, but dont want to go by what Vandy says at this time because it appears that he is most likely a E-Bay shop-dist...seeing that he has sold over 200 pumps without 1 failure....almost to good to be true

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've ran one on my Tbird all year. It leaked after about 3 months . The bolts were too long holding the motor in place. Put a thicker gasket on it ,and it is working good with no issues.I'd buy another one. I'm a satisfied customer:cool:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I've ran one on my Tbird all year. It leaked after about 3 months . The bolts were too long holding the motor in place. Put a thicker gasket on it ,and it is working good with no issues.I'd buy another one. I'm a satisfied customer:cool:
Those heads and new shortblock will reject those procomp parts like a bad heart.........................;-)

·
Registered
405 Posts
well, it looks like even a water pump is not all that great from Pro-Comp...I was hoping that it would be ok just being an electric motor and some tubing...oh well looks like I'm going to buy that Moroso electric pump that goes directly where the BBF stock one goes....it looks like a very nice piece.....thanks for the input....Mike

NOTE...dont want to be mean, but dont want to go by what Vandy says at this time because it appears that he is most likely a E-Bay shop-dist...seeing that he has sold over 200 pumps without 1 failure....almost to good to be true
I have never used their electric pumps and have never sold one. I have never sold Pro Comp parts on eBay. I ship parts to the European hot rod market. I will not ship parts that I wouldn't use myself. I truly drive my 66 Elco every day and put over 10,000 miles on it last year. It hauls at least 5 motors a week home from my shop. Paul Kane will be down next weekend, do you need a pic of him pointing to the Pro Comp pump ? Need Pics of my other trucks with the Pro Comp pumps. Yes indeed 200 and none returned. In Europe we must warranty everything for 2 years and pay shipping. I never see the parts I just fill the parts order and ship. We have had to replace some Pro Comp parts, but no pumps. Sorry that you think I,m a EBay dealer.
Van

·
Registered
330 Posts
glad you have been lucky

We still have 2 of their motors sitting in the garage that they told us just to keep and also gave us our money back. Pretty good customer service but shows me exactly what they have in their products. I have been putting them into boxes and using them as weights when we try to slow the car down to run heads up index classes. Seems to me to be about the only good use for their electric water pumps to me. I could maybe understand one of their motors leaking on us but not 3! I see the name anywhere else that I might get a deal on some parts and I just turn away and look elsewhere. I do not care that their made overseas or anything like that either but their quality is horrible when a pump leaks at the same place on 3 different motors. Spent the extra money on the Mezeire and it works like a charm. I will just silicone about 2 inches of silicone around the other 2 motors so there is NO WAY they can leak and use them for spares and weight if the mezeire ever gives any trouble.

Doug

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never used their electric pumps and have never sold one. I have never sold Pro Comp parts on eBay. I ship parts to the European hot rod market. I will not ship parts that I wouldn't use myself. I truly drive my 66 Elco every day and put over 10,000 miles on it last year. It hauls at least 5 motors a week home from my shop. Paul Kane will be down next weekend, do you need a pic of him pointing to the Pro Comp pump ? Need Pics of my other trucks with the Pro Comp pumps. Yes indeed 200 and none returned. In Europe we must warranty everything for 2 years and pay shipping. I never see the parts I just fill the parts order and ship. We have had to replace some Pro Comp parts, but no pumps. Sorry that you think I,m a EBay dealer.
Van
maybe its just me, but this statement does not make any sense

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
maybe its just me, but this statement does not make any sense
nos42, it does make sense and here's why:

Most everyone in this thread that speaks on personal experience about a failed ProCrap pump is referring to the procrap electric water pumps. This is obvious because they compare them to CSI's or Mezierres. vandy is simply pointing out that the 200+ pumps he has used are mechanical waterpumps. Further, you presumably and mistakenly assume he is an ebay dealer. He simply points out to you that he is not a parts selling eBay whore. vandy is a professional engine builder that has produced as many as 250 engines from his shop each year, has been an engine builder for damn near 5 decades. And he has built Ford 460s for a longer time period than, that made made more power than, and propelled cars faster than 99.5% of the members of this forum. Today he is an engine exporter and the primary portion of his engine exporting business is to Germany where all parts require a 2-year warranty and he has yet to replace a procrap mechanical waterpump.

How many engines did you build last year, nos42? vandy speaks from personal experience, not internet rhetoric that is read on the internet and then assumed to be factual data and regurgitated. I myself am not a big procrap fan; just clarifying what you seem to have missed.

Paul

p.s. Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's, SCAT and Eagle were both considered to be the biggest junk replacement parts for american V8's. These manufacturers eventually got their act together and make quality parts. Frankly, I think CAT, for example, is slowly making progress in this same direction, at least in their solid parts such as rods and cranks. Things get better with time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts