460 Ford Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just about to order a 520 / 532 stroker kit, comes with cast crank, h beams, and probe forged pistons. but this machine guy around here that does a lot of circle track motors said the pistons are junk and are bottom of his list... are they really that bad? its gonna be in a street / mud bog truck, not plannin on pulling 7500 rpm or anything but dont will they hold 6500 easy?

and is .080 over to much to consider reliable?

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Find a new machine shop! I have Probe pistons in my deal and the quality was great less than .0001" from smallest to largest piston weight was excellently matched. There are quite a few people making great power on the Probe pistons so don't know why the shop has a problem with them.

I suppose he suggested Wiseco or something? ROFLMAO! Ross Probe and JE are all good quality pistons.

The only bad thing I see about .080" overbore is the fact that you won't be able to bore the block again if you blow it up and the power gained from .050" larger bore is minimal with most heads with the same stroke. My opinion is to not bore the block anymore than needed to clean it up. With a large valve head like an A460 the larger bore would help unshroud the valve but that is mainly a race head.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys, ill just get the kit in .030 over since its a standard bore right now

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Are you getting the assembly from Coast High Performance/Probe Industries? I got my rotating assembly through them and my engine guy said the parts were some of the best quality he had seen. The tolerances were great all within .0001"and the balance was within 1/2 gram which was excellent for a free balancing job I thought.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they also hAve a 557 ci kit, same brand parts and same price... would this be less reliable than a 532?

i can check that guy out but i dont have very deep pockets and i havent seen a price anywhere near this one at $1399 yet

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I think the last time I looked the cast crank kit 521-532 was $1299. Look up CHP they usually have internet deals available if you call them Manny will give you the same deals over the phone as advertised on there site as internet deals. Me personally I would rather talk to someone than just order something over the internet.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Prices went up a little but the quality of the kit is for sure better.

Racer Price $1,349.99
Part Number: 13599-SCA-650-F525

That is copy and paste of part number and price for Scat 9000 crank kit with dished pistons.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not a big fan of Marks, but I've never had any trouble with pistons from him.

However, I did received a cast crank that was in two pieces about 10yrs ago, and had the replacement finish in two pieces inside the block.

Forged cranks are more affordable today than ever. A cheap one will be better than the best cast if machined properly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
sounds like the shops around here...your machinist probably doesn't even have a BBF Torque Plate...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
ok thanks guys, ill just get the kit in .030 over since its a standard bore right now

Good choice I'm one of 3 people I know who got a pin hole leak in a clynider after boring .080 my block was sonic tested and was very good. I wouldn't go over .060 again on a stock block.

G-

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the crank, Eagle cast cranks are not that good. I didn't know my Probe pistons were {junk}, I wouldn't have hit 7000 so many times and ran an 11.14 in a 1975 F100 if I had LOL. Randy.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.