460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the 460 to do a few things and it needed to be cleaned up - had a few scratches and a decent sized pit in one of the cylinder walls. The local shop has a 6 week turn around (4 weeks ago) so I gather up my trusty 429 (first bigblock I ever had) paint it and drop it into the 'stang.
It ran great.
Then it spit a bit of water from the radiator cap. Hmmm. And some water was missing from the radiator. Hmmm. The oil looked just a bit milky. Hmmmm. So it has problems.
Probably head gaskets. :x

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If excessive force doesn't work, your not using nearly enough.

If it breaks, it was going to fail anyhow, and you needed a new one.........

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had Bruce do my trans. this winter - he did a great job on it. I don't think he has any spare bigblocks laying around - he likes those pesky turbo 4 cylinders! I'll give him a call anyway.

I'll pull the intake first and examine as I go to find the offending part(s). The engine is a virgin 429 from a early 70s Mercury Montego. It sat for 7 years or so in a garage - I expected it to be fine... :cry:

I took the girlfriend for a ride last night (to do some diagnosing) it sure is weird to have such a smooth running engine in the 'stang! I could almost get used to it being so civilized... NAAA! The next engine will be a hoss, I'm working with the local shop to get something together. Maybe not Damon fast, but it'll move! :twisted:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on getting the 'stang going again

I pulled the engine and got it torn down, there was a disappointing amount of evidence as to how water got into the oil. The engine certainly looked to be factory sealed.
I'm guessing it was head gasket(s), because there was a bit too much pressure in the cooling system.
The cylinder bores look great, the one bearing I looked at looked fine, and it rotates very smooth. So the shortblock will stay together.
Oh yeah- I'll get it ready! :!:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
good luck, hope you make it!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Good deal James, and I hope you get it ready for the Bash. I'm biting my fingernails now with a differential problem. I'm going to rebuild the old traction lock, if I can't get the locker to work. I was hoping to not turn any wrenches this week, because it's real rough with work to do both.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a std set of New Rod bearing "HP" for a 460. I'll donate them to you if ya need them!

Laters!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S_stang: Thanks for the generous offer - I'm going to keep the shortblock together, including the bearings as the sample looked good.

I got most everything cleaned up and bolted the heads on last night. I was wondering about changing the valve springs... What is an acceptable pressure (installed height and open)for spinning 5000 RPM? I guess it would be different for whatever valvetrain pieces are installed - nothing fancy here. All stock '72 or '73 429 stuff.

Odds are I will have the 460 back in May, so this is just a quick fix so I don't miss the Bash and NMCA Bowling Green.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
about any spring should be able to handle that rpm.what size cam ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure of the spec. on the cam Dan... Its the stock cam out of a '73 Montego. That was why I chose the 5000 RPM limit.
I had to change the timing chain & gears, as it had the original nylon (or whatever they were made of) cam gear. Pretty good condition though! Borrowed a nice double roller chain from the pile of 460 parts. :D

I'd love to come see you guys lay down some fast passes at the valley tomorrow, but I should be home wrenching on the car instead :wink:

·
Registered
200 Posts
cam

I've got a decent little lunati solid cam with lifters & some suitable springs if you want to stab something a little more aggressive in there. Something like 240 @.050 and .563lift. I'll be at Ohio Valley tomorrow night.

TJ

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the offer TJ, but I've got it 90% together and will hopefully install it tonight. I'll make up the difference with some nitrous :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts