460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck has started kicking back now when I start it. I had to replace the magnetic pick up that went bad. I am running a 7-al2 plus msd box with a starter saver. The motor has never had a problem until i changed the magentic pickup. I hooked the wires on the magentic pick up the way it was in the wiring diagram. I talked to a guy yesterday and he said he had the same problem and solved it by swaping the wires in the pick up. Msd says the black/orange mag+ (connects to msd violet wire) and black/violet mag- (connects to msd green wire). Has anyone else ever had to swich the wires around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes I've had to reverse the wires before,but it was years ago with a 6AL and a Duraspark.
A typo in the instructions that was corrected.Does your engine still pull RPM? From my experience,reversing the polarity will cause a severe miss as RPM starts too rise and timing comes in.
Russ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the correct ways for the wires to be connected i have replaced a few of the pickups but it has been a few years. I checked the timing when i replaced it and other then that is has only been moved in and out of the shop and on to the trailer it has not been raced. I am afraid i am going to loose the flex plate if i cant figure it out.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why not just retard the spark a bit until it doesn't kick back?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Pull the dizzy and check the dowel pin at the cam gear. Might be ready to break and has let the gear move.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The way to check the wires is when it's running with the 7AL box, the timing should be the most retarded.
If it advances when you switch the wires, go back the other way.

Just for the record, the Digital boxes need to be wired where it is the most advanced.

Disconnect the start retard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts