460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
This is a pretty old thread. I have since discovered much additional information about wet flow, intake port flow bias being incorrect, etc etc. I am going to need to transfer some of the information in other threads I have posted information on to this thread. The original positive feelings i had about these castings have been tempered by the quality of flow issues, odd wet flow characteristics and poor flow bias discovered in the poorly engineered intake port.

Peter Ken the owner of procomp whom I had spoken with on a number of occasions at the time I originally posted this had a chance to make a really good cylinder head however he did not.

I will add to this as time allows...

For all who read this remember:

The PC castings is a decent replacement casting in aluminum for the D3 head.

It is NOT a high performance head like the TFS street nor is it a replacement for said TFS street.

The casting itself is actually quite good though the valve job, cheap parts and poor assembly technique that procomp utilised make the assembled castings a no go in my opinion. Most of the ebay versions of these castings are crap in my opinion. They are cheaply assembled and misrepresented.

If Randy Malick, myself or others here outfit the castings with good parts, add a good valve job, do some minor port work and what not they are not a bad head for say under 550 HP applications however in fully ported max effort trim they are lucky to be 5% better than a max effort pair of D0VE's. Again this is a quality of intake flow issue.

I will and hope Randy will entertain reasonable questions about these castings in this thread. I will not put up with any unnecessary bashing, BS or trouble making here. With that being said I hope we can give an honest asessment of them and put this constant sore spot to rest...

:D
As Scott has plainly said ... Castings are good and assembled heads, (unless done from bare castings and good parts), leave a lot to be desired. These are NOT an inexpensive race type cylinder head and shouldn't be though-of as such.
The combustion chambers are ugly but, don't present a performance problem.
They "are what they are" and are good heads IF they are kept within the parameters where they are meant to be used.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did exactly that. I bought them bare, had my engine builder go over them. He did a little port work on the intake side. I bought all good name brand valves and springs. I have been running them in my 64 TBolt for 3 years and they have been fine. They provide plenty of power for me. I believe they are a good affordable aluminum street/strip head. All out racing, I would go for a more expensive head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Boosted ProComp heads

What if they were used in a boosted application? That would sure improve the intake side of things. I don't need a max effort naturally aspirated head since I already have a Vortech YSI I would like to use with these. So what is anybody's thought on this?

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
It was asked in one of the many threads about these heads and I asked Scotty and he seemed to agree these would be a decent heads with boost or nitrous bringing in more oxygen. I will PM Scotty about this and maybe we can add more info to this thread as I am sure there is more knowledge now.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
What if they were used in a boosted application? That would sure improve the intake side of things. I don't need a max effort naturally aspirated head since I already have a Vortech YSI I would like to use with these. So what is anybody's thought on this?
The intake port works somewhat similar to a D3 ... they actually have their highest inner-port velocities in a different part of the port than a D3 but, they flow pretty much the same.
Of course they are aluminum so, their resistance to detonation is higher.

EDIT: This may sound strange but, the intake port reacts very, VERY similar to the oval port Big Block Chevrolet "bad" port.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
In fully ported large valve form the pro comp exhaust port is quite good IMO. It is quiet and moves 245 cfm or more depending on level of port modification. Since a large exhaust port is a good idea in forced induction excepting turbo charging I feel that the exhaust port is up to the task.

Given the improper flow bias of the intake toward the center of the cylinder instead of the chamber wall I feel that any work done to mitigate this along with some port work to get the flow rates to the 340 cfm the heads are capable of at .600" lift would go along way toward making them suitable for a boosted application. The additional mixture motion imparted due to a boosted intake tract would help mitigate the less than ideal flow characteristics of the intake port as well.

I do not see why 1000 or 1200 HP is out of the question with good port work proper outfitting etc. Because of the better exhaust port i feel that they would offer an advantange over iron in a boosted application over and above the fact that they are aluminum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In fully ported large valve form the pro comp exhaust port is quite good IMO. It is quiet and moves 245 cfm or more depending on level of port modification. Since a large exhaust port is a good idea in forced induction excepting turbo charging I feel that the exhaust port is up to the task.

Given the improper flow bias of the intake toward the center of the cylinder instead of the chamber wall I feel that any work done to mitigate this along with some port work to get the flow rates to the 340 cfm the heads are capable of at .600" lift would go along way toward making them suitable for a boosted application. The additional mixture motion imparted due to a boosted intake tract would help mitigate the less than ideal flow characteristics of the intake port as well.

I do not see why 1000 or 1200 HP is out of the question with good port work proper outfitting etc. Because of the better exhaust port i feel that they would offer an advantange over iron in a boosted application over and above the fact that they are aluminum.

... would you happen to have one of these castings that would be suitable as a work piece ?? ... i wouldn't even mind one that was cut in half if you have it ?? ...
... i'd like to spend some time on one of these, depending on what i can do with them, i'd like to test them on our dyno, we have a 470c.i. truck pull engine going together, (the SF-902 hasn't seen a big Ford in awhile) ... but we do get a lot of questions locally about them, thats why i ask ...

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
... would you happen to have one of these castings that would be suitable as a work piece ?? ... i wouldn't even mind one that was cut in half if you have it ?? ...
... i'd like to spend some time on one of these, depending on what i can do with them, i'd like to test them on our dyno, we have a 470c.i. truck pull engine going together, (the SF-902 hasn't seen a big Ford in awhile) ... but we do get a lot of questions locally about them, thats why i ask ...
These things are cheap. Buy one bare casting from procomp...

S

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any one running these heads on the street? Real world seat of the pants feel? how much weight do the heads save vs d3s? Do they come set up for stamp rockers or roller rockers? I may buy some this weekend.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Any one running these heads on the street? Real world seat of the pants feel? how much weight do the heads save vs d3s? Do they come set up for stamp rockers or roller rockers? I may buy some this weekend.
They come out of the box machined for studs and guideplates; Save about 70 pounds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pro Comp 460

Received my first order of the BBF and 351 C castings from Pro Comp today.

All in all not too bad considering the price.

The as delivered valve job is a 2 angle exhaust and 3 angle intake with 2.08"/1.65" valve sizes. The intake seat ID is too small for the head size and this hurts flow. The seat inserts are plenty big enough for 2.19"/1.76" valves.

As Randy stated the intake ports are Dove copies and the exhaust are a modified TFS copy that is purposely left small. The exhaust port location and height are as the TFS streets are.

There is a bunch of metal in these castings that does not need to be there. The wall thickness is such that making the ports larger is not a problem. I feel that this was intended to avoid patent infringement issues

These castings beat the as cast D3's on both the intake and exhaust when flowed with stock valves on the as delivered valve job.

When the bowls are blended and the intake seat ID addressed the castings beat the budget small valve D3's. Once lift exceeds .600" the intake ports get ugly just like the SCJ's do. They do however have strong flow numbers until .600" lift. This is really appropriate for a street head.

I do not see these castings producing the high lift numbers that the TFS streets do although they give them a good run till .400" even with the small valves. The flow numbers I have are with minimal work and the as delivered seats. I believe that the numbers will be better with my seat cutters and more extensive short turn radii work.

It looks like they will be a good replacement for the budget small valve iron castings even in a entry level budget version priced just above $1K.

Flow rates 1.65" exhaust:

As delivered / Bowl blended / Budget D3
56 / 62 / 58
99 / 105 / 108
138 / 139 / 137
159 / 162 / 155
172 / 178 / 170
182 / 189 / 180
183 / 196 /
184 / 200 /

Flow rates 2.08" intake"
75 / 74 / 78
147 / 150 / 150
211/ /211 / 211
257 / 264 / 258
270 / 290 / 287
290 / 299 / 306

I see some modest improvements coming with a better valve seat and more short turn radii work on the intake side and there seems to be about another 20 cfm exhaust available with a more agressive short turn shape again with the small valves.

To be honest I do not see the intakes surpassing the large valve iron stuff by much but the exhaust should be some 225 cfm or better. There is enough meat to make the exhaust port large enough to mimick the TFS exhaust port.

R&D is coming for a large valve fully ported version. I will update as more information becomes available.

For availability and cost information see post in the auction section.

Link to Pics: http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ProCompBBFCastingsIndex.html

8)
I am currently having a motor built for my Wife 71 Mach 1 in North Ft Myers Florida at an Outfit called MotorPLex. They plan on using pro comp heads thea i was a little leary about at first. They say that they are going to use pro comp CNC castings and use a kit that pro comp makes from springs to valve covers taht they will install and set tolerances the build will be to achieve 500 hp and they will dyno at completion all for 6 k i provided the 73 block,crank,edelbrck manifold,77o cfm carb. Any thoughts on the heads it does not sound as if they plan on doing any machine work to the castings thanks marc

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
They say that they are going to use pro comp CNC castings and use a kit that pro comp makes from springs to valve covers that they will install and set tolerances.
The castings are quite good but, I certainly would NOT use the trash Pro Comp kit of parts.
The seat and valve guide machine work from Pro Comp leaves a lot to be desired.
This is just a tip ... it is your engine.,

·
Registered
77 Posts
460 Build

The castings are quite good but, I certainly would NOT use the trash Pro Comp kit of parts.
The seat and valve guide machine work from Pro Comp leaves a lot to be desired.
This is just a tip ... it is your engine.,
They have my motor and a 2500$ deposit is it possible to build it for 6k get 500 hp for that w /quality parts if so what direction should i ask them to take.Thanks for the help Marc

·
Registered
87 Posts
cnc 3058 pro comp

Has anyone used the cnc version pro comp pc3058 heads. They told me flow was 331/[email protected] 500 and 344/[email protected] 600 lift with 2.19 and 1.71 valves. Does these numbers seem right. I am looking at getting a bare set and adding my choice of valvetrain. Any idea what kind of power could be made with these on a 521 pump gas motor with healthy cam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a set of the heads for the 521 I'm building. The intake ports only need flash removed and a good polish,and I agree on the seats needing to be narrowed. I will also tell you that other than rolling the exhaust port out to make a gasket match, you better tread lightly, I ruined a head by cutting through the floor of the exhaust port. I've ported a *** load of heads of many different types, but never a set of these,so I called the people that I bought the heads from and asked them specifically, how much meat could be removed from the exhaust floor and without hesitation, they said .450, ( nearly half an inch). The problem there is less than a quarter inch of material there, so don't even think of taking out more than one eighth of and inch. I don't think they were being dishonest, Just didn't have the figures right. It cost me a new bare head. At the mouth of the port, you can round it down to make a gasket match at about 45 degrees, plenty meat at the exit for that. You will not find much at all past 1 inch into the port.

·
Registered
60 Posts
pro comp 385 series

I am using a set of the pro comps on a 545 stroker with a don Hampton super charger and fitech fuel injection, I haven't started car yet but it does seem that pro comp is a player in the aluminum head dept I did about 3 months of research and the quality I found is right up there with the rest so im giving them a shot on this beast.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done cast iron. D0VE heads before; the usual bowl work, grinding away the egr bumps and unshrouding the intake & exhaust valves and then a 3 angle valve job. I have never fooled with re-shaping the "short-side" radius, or modified the "floor" or "roof" of the runners.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts