460 Ford Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Great Post Scott, Thanks for the information.
:nerd:

Sure thing.

What I have found out since the original post...

In NA applications the PC heads with a proper valve job, assembly and port work are NO better than Iron castings. However...

In forced induction applications they seem to work quite well.

We do not use them often. We usually get client provided ebay large valve heads thrown together with no seat or bowl work and have to completely remachine them.

SJ

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missed this thread during all my searching... This is indeed the information that I was after and I'm sure other people were too. Thanks for unearthing this thread!!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
7 bar aluminum castings billed on ebay as procomp heads

Saw this thread and Titaniumfreaks question went unanswered about whose heads had the 7 bars cast in them.

It is a company that sells on online and bills them as procomp. They are not procomp.

They are sold by shaw city engines and the owner claims they are the same manufacturer as procomp with proper machine work and valves, springs etc.

He has some pretty significant claims as to flow rates which I question.

The guy Alan who I spoke to about heads was not a really pleasant guy to talk to when I started asking questions.

I just bought a set being told they were procomps.
So I am interested to see what they are all about.
So I am really interested to see how or what they really are.

Talked with a rep at procomp and they definitely are not theirs.

My guess looking at some of the companies feedback is that they likely aren't a great value and likely better off to spend your money somewhere else.

I'll keep all info I find up here.

If anyone else has any experience with them let me know it may save me sometime.

As for the money I spent on them it's just the cost of education sometimes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am using them on a 545 dual throttle body fitech fuel injected motor with a don Hampton 871 and they run great I am happy with them I ordered them off of ebay simply to save weight I ran them at 12 overdriven with my piston that put static at around 15:1 and I currently am running them at 9.8 under that put static at around 12:1 no issues so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
A different option

Don't know if you have tried it, but "squaring" the exhaust port as much as you can and trimming the exhaust gaskets to fit your installation/ mod has given me some very good results. I'm an old FE builder and i like the more rectangular ports of these engines, so I ported a set of DOVE heads pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the procomp heads on a blown (871) 545 ci fitech fuel injected monster and they work great, I am very happy with them, no issues with them, the motor makes a ton of torque, and yes I when I received them I inspected them, i cleaned them, and I installed them no extra machine work, I know your not " supposed" to do that but I wanted to prove a point about the many videos and reviews " never install these out of the box" well in my experience yes you can go out of the box, the only thing I did to them, I installed arp rocker studs, comp guide plates, and comp magnum roller rockers, after about 6 months of running with dealing a overheat issue, at the time it ran 230-235, I removed the heads inspected them, no issues heads were fine, I reinstalled them and pressure tested the cooling system and did a exhaust gas test both test passed there on there today running great and I have ran these at 9 percent under at about 12-1, and I have ran them at 19 percent overdriven at 17-1 only issue I had in both cases was tires wont stick to the ground lol need to back half now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with RPC / Speedmaster heads from Ron Owens Racing? Some of their verbiage:

"We build the heads and we only use top of the line parts to build the heads .
We buy them bare and use ferra Manley and comp parts in the heads we sell.

So we cant sell them as cheap as others are because of the parts we use to build them."

61 - 71 of 71 Posts