460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's ... I know just enuff to get in trouble when it comes to this stuff, but never scared to attempt and learn .... I did a bit of a search, but ...
I bought a Proform 66980B Hei dizzy for my '77 460 which was completly rebuilt and initially broke in with stock electronics....., but can't seem to get it to seat right... I also have a Comp cam 34-227-4 - is this considered a "roller cam"? Even without a bronze gear it should "fall" into place right?

A simple "plug and play"has turned into a day long fight.....

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Hi guy's ... I know just enuff to get in trouble when it comes to this stuff, but never scared to attempt and learn .... I did a bit of a search, but ...
I bought a Proform 66980B Hei dizzy for my '77 460 which was completly rebuilt and initially broke in with stock electronics....., but can't seem to get it to seat right... I also have a Comp cam 34-227-4 - is this considered a "roller cam"? Even without a bronze gear it should "fall" into place right?

A simple "plug and play"has turned into a day long fight.....

Thanks in advance.....
That is certainly NOT a "roller cam".
I use those distributors with good success but, there are some things to check. Be SURE the bottom of the gear is installed withing the correct dimensional limits; (4.000" when the shaft is fully compressed with no play and 4.035" when the shaft is extended completely).

Is it going onto the oil pump drive shaft...? Turn the engine by hand some while trying to install the distributor to get that shaft indexed correctly to the distributor shaft.

Look at the fromt of the block down in the distributor hole and be sure that the threaded plug in the oil gallery is not sticking-out to far for the distributor to completely seat; if so, the distributor will need to be modified with a "flat" on one side of the shaft support to get it all the way down.

These are the common reasons a distributor won't go all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well , for starters, the o-ring was in the wrong place... seates lower, but still "loose".... maybe wrong o-ring altogether??? Hold down lip is thicker as well....WTF? Can't find a model # on it- maybe wrong dizzy altoghether ?????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts