460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems kinda neat. A little gimmicky, but neat. I'm curious about what kind of coils those use? If they use gm HEI coils, I've heard from a reputable source that it's very difficult or impossible to find coils these days that don't succumb to heat and start having inter-winding shorts that gradually increase the load on the ignition module driving the coil. When this happens, it generally happens only when the system is good and hot, thereby causing the usual types of coil tests to indicate a good coil when testing it in the store. As the winding degradation continues, the ignition module sees a lower and lower impedance until it fails due to supplying too much current to the failing coil. Now, none of this may apply to these distributors, and having the distributor in the front of the engine near cooler air flowing from the engine cooling fan may help this even if it does. I have a big block in a chevelle, and I have installed one of those external coil kits that allows you to keep using the big cap hei while not having the coil trapped inside the cap with all the heat. The idea of being able to alter your timing with your phone is kinda neat, and I do also like the idea of being able to disable the ignition remotely as a theft deterrent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts