460 Ford Forum banner

361 - 370 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just read this thread and love it!! Great car and build!!

I'm putting a 521 stroker in a '78 Continental Coupe and have really enjoyed reading about all the BIG Ford products with big blocks. I'm also going for the stock appearance except under the hood.

You mentioned that the rear end sits higher than stock. Was that necessary to fit the 295 55 15 tires? I'll be looking for the widest wheels and tires that will fit in the wheel wells with stock, or slightly lower (old springs), rear end height. Also need the wheels to accept the stock full 15" hub caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thank you for the "thanks"

Hey Scotty, meant to mention sooner about the "thanks" in your post about the traction pieces! Glad I could help out. Great to see the 'unpopular' fullsize Fords hauling butt! I dont recall seeing, but what were your 60' times? Anymore plans to wring this car out some more at the track? Steve.................

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Hey Scotty, meant to mention sooner about the "thanks" in your post about the traction pieces! Glad I could help out. Great to see the 'unpopular' fullsize Fords hauling butt! I dont recall seeing, but what were your 60' times? Anymore plans to wring this car out some more at the track? Steve.................

1.75 sec 60' time

I know there is a 11.9X run there even with the 3.5 gears. I will attempt to get there while the weather is cool this spring.

My runs were done with track temps in the mid 80's.

I am planning my next project (Stroker 70's big Thunderbird) and am not sure which direction the LTD will take from here.

S

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Steve,

RHP has been buried for a year now with no end in site. :D

I have enjoyed driving the LTD on occasion but no time for track. She is certainly high 11 second capable as is and I am happy with that. The SCJ headed 460 has exceeded expectations on many levels.

A 557 4 bolt CJ short block, AFR heads etc etc is in the works for the next engine.

After a recent chat with Stan Johnson at FPA it looks like the car will go in for the updated header work in late November (ish) to create the 1 7/8" to 2" step headers with 3" collectors talked about in the tech section. Tooling will be made, headers fabbed from tooling and checked for fit. Once the fit is correct Stan will start taking small deposits for the production units.

After I have the first two pair of headers, one for the LTD and one for the 1976 Thunderbird, I will be more inclined to proceed with both builds. I have 80% of the pieces already for both builds.

The Thunderbird will be an AFR headed stroker, 4 bolt splayed D0VE block and a Vortech V7 ysi with billet impeller. Think Super Coupe. :eek:

First mock up below.

A build thread is possible if there is interest.

S

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds wickid' !!
Makes me ready to return to my 78 BB Bronco project after the wife's kitchen remodel which turned into 1/2 of the house being remodeled. For all the young folks out there the proverb "A Happy Wife is a Happy Life" carries a lot of weight. Now that she's happy I get to play...

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Sounds wickid' !!
Makes me ready to return to my 78 BB Bronco project after the wife's kitchen remodel which turned into 1/2 of the house being remodeled. For all the young folks out there the proverb "A Happy Wife is a Happy Life" carries a lot of weight. Now that she's happy I get to play...

Thank you.

How very true.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Great car and build!!

Thank you. The old Broad is still running strong though I rarely drive her these days. Covered in blankets in the Garage. :(

New Mustang GTPP
New house
Business expansion

Little time...

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

361 - 370 of 370 Posts