460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 40 of 370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I had the eddys in hand and was working on them however someone else needed them more than I wanted them and the scj's are better all the way around. We all know this... :)

With just bowl work, minor tweeks at the pushrod pinch and work on the right side short turn wall the scj heads will flow 370 cfm @ .560" lift. I am still going to stick with the goal of hitting the high 12's however the better heads will allow me to use less cam and have a more street friendly driver.

Solid EX flat tappet of about 224/236 should be fine.

Comments and thoughs are welcomed and encouraged. I will say that making heavy cars rock has always been a focus or fascination for me.

:D
That is an interesting change of plans!
Tom

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Scotty
Those are some beautiful cars. Clean is an under statement. :eek::eek:

Clay

EDIT: That brown one reminds me of the LTD Burt Renolds had in that moonshiner movie! Now I am showing my age.
Had to go look It was White Lightning.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nothing worse than guys with Cadditude... ;)

I have a 1974 Galaxie 500 as well. It is a bit cleaner and very low mileage. Perhaps a 545 for that one...

Very nice!! How many cars are you currently hording?!?!?!?

So sweet to see you start on the LTD!! But in some ways I'm a little sad to see it come apart, you said you had the 400 running WELL! That doesn't happen too often!

Can't wait to see what happens with this, there just aren't many guys building the fullsize cars to this level.

When done, I think it could be magazine feature material! People like dare to be different!

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
WooHoo found an NOS battery tray...

The only unservicable part under the hood was the battery tray. Just happened to find on on ebay for what I consider a reasonable price.

Andy. Only hoarding the two full size vehicles. My driver is a 1991 LX 5.0 HO.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I dont know how I missed this thread over the past week... but as I started reading, I couldnt help but think SCJ heads... and lo and behold, I see you DID go that route!

Ive ALWAYS loved the big boats of the late 70s, as those are the cars I grew up with as a young kid... Being carted around in Torino wagons, LTDs, Mavericks etc... Both those LTDs are great! Love how the two door has such a mean look.

I still think a stroker crank of SOME kind should make its way into that build to help move the heavy beast! And a set of mickey thompson street radials on your steele wheels would be the icing on the cake

Shane

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I dont know how I missed this thread over the past week... but as I started reading, I couldnt help but think SCJ heads... and lo and behold, I see you DID go that route!

Ive ALWAYS loved the big boats of the late 70s, as those are the cars I grew up with as a young kid... Being carted around in Torino wagons, LTDs, Mavericks etc... Both those LTDs are great! Love how the two door has such a mean look.

I still think a stroker crank of SOME kind should make its way into that build to help move the heavy beast! And a set of mickey thompson street radials on your steele wheels would be the icing on the cake

Shane
The green LTD will get the 460 and in time the rootbeer brown Galaxie 500 will get a stroker. I just happened upon another set of BB frame stantions and mounts in a box I forgot about. LOL. that makes the conversion easier.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Scotty
EDIT: That brown one reminds me of the LTD Burt Renolds had in that moonshiner movie! Now I am showing my age.
Had to go look It was White Lightning.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Looked like the car in the movie with the CJ valve covers, 4 spd. and some cam. Would be cool make one of these like that. Regardless of head, paint it all Ford Blue with some polished CJ valve covers and factory air cleaner with a chromed lid. Bit of cam lope, rumble of dual exh. with chrome tips, a 4 spd. manual, and a set of 15" wheels with the dog dish hubcaps... Don't care what it runs at the strip, sure would be a cool car!

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Brand new SCJ-A's are on the way...

Thank you Matt...

370 cfm @ .560" lift here we come. :D

Engine bay has been steam cleaned and hand scrubbed with SOS.
Etching primer and semi gloss krylon rust resistant paint.
A/C evaporator removed and box reworked and sealed to neat things up.
Correct BB engine mount frame stantions installed.
Shop helpers Tony and Chris to do the grunt work so the old man can concentrate on the important stuff. They do good work. Thanxx guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Keep the pics coming... both these cars are super cool and unique! You just dont see these cars out in the cruise and show circuit!

Shane

·
Registered
91 Posts
That will be sweet!!! Love to see another full size car get the power it should have came with. A few guys I know give me flack about building my TC. Makes me feel better now to see a guru doing a build with a big car. You will have a ball in that thing!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finalised my ports this afternoon.
Here is a pic of the intake ports final shape. I am not interested in making the damned thing pretty just functional.

2.200" intake / 1.760" exhaust. Intake back cut 29 degrees .088" wide.

.200" 104 / 163
.300" 147 / 250
.400" 183 / 302
.500" 213 / 337
.570" ..... / 353
.600" 234 /

Valve lift is .562" / .575" with the 1.8 ratio comp high tech stainless rockers

The SCJ's go turbulent just under 600" lift with an untouched short turn and I left the intake short turn radii alone because I want very strong low and mid lift flow rates. These flow rates were achieved with minimal increase in intake port cross sectional area to keep port velocity as high as possible. More flow is available with more cross section and a larger bowl however I dont feel it appropriate for this build.

There is enough intake flow to support well over 700 HP... Far more flow than needed however the cam will peak higher because of the fat intake flow curve...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Scotty, do you have any ideas on what your going to do about traction aide-aides on the LTD? Steve.............
Given the full size nature of the beast I do not have many options. I have contemplated getting the lower trailing arms boxed, 90/10 shocks for the front for the track and loosening or removing the sway bar for weight transfer.

She has a K code 2.75 9" trak lok in her now. Looking for a 3.25 or 3.50 center section at present.

Any thoughts on this subject are welcome.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Traction thoughts...........

Scotty, what I found in my past experience with another 73LTD Combo simular to yours that rear shocks & springs were more beneficial than anything else I did to get the car to hook. When I get home this evening I will get the part # of the Rancho RS9000 shocks for the rear. I also used a NEW replacement set of Moog coil springs that I cut down for the rear, and adj. the pinion angle to NEG 4* as I recall. I disconnected the frt sway bar and used Koni SPA1 adj front shocks along with NEW replacement Moog Big Block springs as well. The Trac Loc I used grenaded after a VERY short time. It was a REMAN 31spl version. A spool was used from there after with good results. With 275/60-15 BFG Drag Radials the car would 60ft in the high 1.7's-low 1.8's. This was with 4.11 gears and a 10.1 472 C6(9.5" converter) combo. The car weighed in at 4560lbs with me aboard. Boxing the lwr c/arms would be wise, as I noticed some deformation with mine. Steve..........................

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Maybe with some other mods, removing the front sway bar would be acceptable, but in stock mode, only removing that front bar creates a poor handling ride on the street. My 70 Wagon handles like crap without it, and it isn't just a matter of getting used to it... the body roll going around a turn even at very low speeds is crazy. A blowout at highway speeds would be a nightmare, imo. I do agree that improving the rear suspension would be the place to start.
Tom

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Anyone run a stabiliser bar in thr rear end. We have a guy down here running 9.6 at 141mph in a 3500lb falcon on m/t radials. He runs a leaf spring rear end and the stabiliser bar ( no 4 link, 2 link or caltracs). It lifts the front even ever run. This is the set up im looking to do for my car just wondering if anyone else has used or tried it. Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rear Sway Bar

Great point! I know of a lot of GM "A" bodys out here that swear by using a rear sway bar on their drag cars. Really seems to help more so on the coil sprung rear cars. I have not seen or heard much about using a sway bar on the rear of a leaf car, although I have seen more than one NHRA Stock eliminator car with a track bar on the rear of a leaf car................

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
After fighting with my flow bench for several days because of a calibration error that seemed to appear at the higher flow rates I have some revised figures for the SCJ-A castings. Checked some stock doves to verify that the bench is not happy and several out of the box pairs of aluminum heads which were coming up short which is what clued me into the potential issue... any way...

.200" 165 cfm
.300" 260
.400" 320
.500" 360
.570" 376

Pretty typical flow rates for the type of work done. Bowl blend. right side wall opened as well as the bowl itself on the same side. 29 degree back cut .088" wide.

Exhaust numbers remain unchanged. Funny that the error did not affect the exhaust numbers...

Far more flow than the combo needs however this will help the combo hold on after the cam has peaked...

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some additional pics... Getting real close just down to the details...

All of the big stuff is done.

Engine ready excepting final finishing on the heads.

Engine bay ready, power steering pump redone.

Now it is really a matter of getting the final details addressed and installing the engine.

Ordered and have received Summit 2.5" X pipe kit, walker dynomax ultra mufflers and a nice low key tach for the steering wheel.

Also have a set of 3.50 gears, a trak lok etc. now to get the third member done...

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
12s

Scott I think your set up should run some where between mid 11s to low 12s. I have a 71 cobra torino, car weighs 4000lbs, I had a 429 30 over in it, cj heads stock ports solid cam with 280 duration 615 lift, 11.3.1 comp, 2 inch headers into 2 1/2 straight exhaust in to mufflers, stealth intake, 850 double pumper. c6 3000 stahll converter, 411 gears 9 inch traction lock with slapper bars on the leaf springs. I had the front sway bar still attached. The car would run consist 12.9s all day, I feel with some tuning the car would have run 12.5s but a lobed wipped out. With your set up and knowledge you should be in my oppion be at least be in the high 11s. looking foward to see what she runs Joe.

21 - 40 of 370 Posts