460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on the Forum ever used an SV-1 or Dominator Carb prepared by or manufactured by ProSystems?

I need a larger Carburetor and am looking at these, as well as some of their competitors. I understand they have a dyno section on their website, but am interested in hearing what others think.

This will be installed on my 598 THOR Headed engine which is now installed and running in my boat. The engine makes 1130 hp with a 2.10" Throttle Blade Dominator(apprx 1300 cfm). It flattens out and pulls 2" of negative pressure going thru the carb, so I think it would benefit from something larger.

Feel free to state your opinions and or experience as I need some info before I spend my money.

Thanks, RR

PS.
Of course, you can pm me if you like. It will stay confidential. I just need some opinions.

Tnx, RR

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought a Pro-Systems dommy in 2001 and have made hundreds of passes with it and never had an issue. Honestly I think it still has the original needles and seats in it. It ran great out of the box and has required very little tuning, just a good cleaning every once and a while. It is a very consistent carb. Patrick is great to work with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
prosystems

Have had Patrick rebuild a used single dom., and build 2 doms. for tunnel ram, both times worked
great little tunning needed. He's well worth the money you spend.

Gary

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think thier 4150's and the SV-1 are very good carbs. I think they would be hard pressed to beat. The Dominators though that I have had done , (3) have been as good but not any better than the bone stock Dominators that had been tuned and tweaked .

JMO,
Travis

·
Registered
631 Posts
Patrick did an 830 cfm annular 4150 for my old 468, ran great right out of the box. When I had a new 502 built, I had him convert the carb into a 950 downleg booster. That carb was so far out of whack that it couldn't be adjusted to make it work when we dynoed the motor. A stock ProForm 950 that the dyno operator had lying around made 15 more hp without any tuning. The Pro Systems carb was way out of whack, 50 cc acc pumps w/ 45 squirters, Randy Malik says the metering blocks were way too big, I talked to Patrick about it with Patrick but couldn't get it to run right. It seemed so far off the mark that I didn't even feel it was worth the trouble to send it back to him. I got tired of fooling with it and gave up and bought a Quickfuel 950 from Lem and saw a big improvement in drivability with the new carb. The car starts much easier, seems to run cleaner and just all around runs better. Hit the wall and wrecked the car before I even tried to tune on the carb. I may just swap the metering blocks from the Quickfuel onto the ProSystems carb and see if it makes it run better. Patrick is great at setting up a carb, but he's not right every time!
Gary

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Let me list the carb shops I recommend...

CFM - Dale Cubic - www.cfmperfcarbs.com (My Personal Guy and Kaase's as well)
Bob Book
Pro Systems - Patrick
Quick Fuel - Great Bolt On Stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts