460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal, Thursday evening two days before the second race of the '08 season I broke a rod in testing in my 429. The broken rod did damage to the #2 piston it was conected to and the block. I did not have any spare pistons of that same design. So my team and I went to work with a big band aid. We first smoothed and blended the remains of the pistons then took a wheel cylinder hone to the pin bore. After that we took a carbide bur to the block bore to remore the larger amount of hammered block in the cyl. Then took a cartrage roll to smooth it out even more. The being we did not have another con rod we too a bone stock car rod drilled a hole in the top for oil and the took the same brake cyl hone to it to float the pin. got it all back together and buttoned up at 2:30am sat morning and hit the road for Bakersfield to make the first heat to try and salvage some points. I knew the engine was hurt and I was on barrowed time but I had to chance it, the crew worked there asses off, and they deserved something. The engine ran great made 4 cj heats and 1 nj heat. We are still the cj points leader and that was all we wanted to accomplish for this race. I was using polished car rods with ARP bolts.

Now what I need is some light wieght .060 flat top pistons for a 460. I am hoping to find some rods at a good price as well. Good used pistons are fine as well as late model truck rods.
I also need one .030 (2404)
I am also in need of one (2366) .030 (429 single valve refief flattop)

Thanks guys
Jim

8 3/8" 8.780

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the abuse I put on pistons, I absolutely need Forged ones.

·
Registered
329 Posts

I have a set of 8, 2366-.030 used and have some scoring on them, but I think at least 4 of them are usable with some clean up,I was going to clean them up with some emery cloth and throw them in a cheap rebuild, but haven't come across another 429 crank, here is a pic of the worst one

they have rings on them still and there are 6 with pins, but no locks

how about $65 +shipping,(or are they scrap metal)
Steve

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: PISTONS

HELI-ARC said:
I HAVE A SET OF NEW SPEED PRO FORGED PISTON
PT # L2443NF-60 (.400 DOME)
350.00 PLUS SHIPPING
I have 68cc chambers and I am .007 out of the hole, what would the compresion be, 17-1 ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PMs sent out.
Thank you

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 2366

Touchngo said:
I have a set of 8, 2366-.030 used and have some scoring on them, but I think at least 4 of them are usable with some clean up,I was going to clean them up with some emery cloth and throw them in a cheap rebuild, but haven't come across another 429 crank, here is a pic of the worst one

they have rings on them still and there are 6 with pins, but no locks

how about $65 +shipping,(or are they scrap metal)
Steve
Check your pms !!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well hell pms have been sent !

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still waiting to hear on the pistons shipment price and part number on rods. Not to put any pressure on anyone that is helping me but I need these items ASAP due to the fact that I have to be tested and race ready by April 10th.

Thanks to everyone
Jim

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK pistons are on the way Monday.
Now I just need some connecting rods.
I also need 8 3/8 8.780 1 peice pushrods.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mudbogtom said:
Code Blue Racing said:
OK pistons are on the way Monday.
Now I just need some connecting rods.
I also need 8 3/8 8.700 1 peice pushrods.
What rods are you looking for... stock or aftermarket?

Tom
Some that won't break easy !
I have 1 7/8 sets of stock pass rods and I am done with them for racing at this level. I am looking for some DD late modle truck rods or some SRIs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Jim,
I got a set of 8.680" 3/8 one piece moly pushrods and a few individual truck rods with ARP bolts. let me know if any of that will work.

Dave

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pm sent to yah Dave !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts