460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tons of stuff for sale here, the thing that sucks is before it gets to my door the price has gone crazy. Things like brokerage fees,duties,taxes,and on top, the shipping. Is there any way to avoid all the hassels ? I don't see why we should have to pay all those extra cost on used parts. Any tips would be apprieciated.
No such thing as free trade.
Thanks Steve.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are thats for sure. I'm looking at buying a set of cast heads, I would be also looking at paying about 250.00 CND for shipping, about 50.00 brokerage fees, 6% tax , plus duties ( which I'm not sure about )
I'm mainly looking at avoiding all the extras.
I'm pretty sure that if it is a gift you don't have to pay all the extras.
This is what I'm trying to find out. Also I think that if it's under a certain $ value you don't have to pay either.
I could probably find tons of stuff around here you guys would be interested in buying but the cost of shipping would be more than what your buying.
Steve

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you are even within a few hours of the border the best bet is to have it shipped to a US border town and either pick it up yourself or have someone do it for you.

I use a mail service in Blaine WA.

Just use my own name with the Blaine address. They recieve it and hold it till I get there. They charge me a minimal handling fee (8-10 bucks a package) Then either I go or a buddy I have that goes across the border on a pretty regular basis goes and pick's it up.

Then you just declare it at the border and all you have to pay is the sales tax.

Shipping to a US address is way cheaper plus you dont pay any brokerage at all.

On small items I agree the mail is the best. Both UPS makes you pay big time for brokerage special handling and extra freight. I have seen several times when the total freight bill was double the cost of the actual product :shock: :shock:

dkp

·
Registered
134 Posts
I try to use USPS air mail if I can as it is fairly quick and you only pay the taxes plus a $5 service charge which is way less than the brokerage fees UPS and FedEx charge.There shouldn't be duty on auto parts, only taxes.Surface mail is slow, expect it to take 3-4 weeks.The only problem with mail is the tracking system isn't as good as the courier companies.The last time I checked items worth less than $20 Cdn were tax exempt.Sometimes you can get parcels shiped to a hotel as well if you are planning a trip to the U.S..I saw an ad once for a company on the U.S.-Canada border that you could get parcels shipped to by whatever means you wanted, they would then take the items across the border and ship it in Canada however you requested.They charged a small fee but it was a lot less than the brokerage fees.I don't remember their name but someone might know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info everyone. I never heard of usps, but I think I'll be checking into that.
I relize there must be quite a few people on here from Canada.
I should just post a want add, that might work.
I'm looking for a rebuilt set of either doves or c9s , but probably d3s. I havn't assembled my motor yet,I'm still waiting on the rest of my parts,they were suposed to be here a couple weeks ago, but I changed my cam so I had to start over again.
Not quite sure what my CR will be. Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
USPS is the United States postal service.Summit ships to Canada through the post office now if you request it which is nice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ifergusson said:
USPS is the United States postal service.Summit ships to Canada through the post office now if you request it which is nice.
Didn't know that. Cool.

I won't buy something if they seller won't ship it USPS. UPS's fees are a joke.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Why don't you just buy some heads locally? I am sure there must be a bunch of them in Edmonton. If I hadn't dragged mine all the way down here I would sell them to you. LOL. What are you looking for exactly. I can make a couple calls and see what I can dig up if you want. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy **** - what a ride!!! "
Yep! Your right dude : and then----

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hey here's a thought. buy a set of heads from scott johnson (REINCARNATION AUTOMOTIVE),he's in washington have thems shipped to bosshoss, have them picked up and shipped to you. Scott does great work and would be your best bet. pay bosshoss for picking them up and then shipping them to you (scott is the mad porter on this site)

Ace :p

·
Registered
895 Posts
Heads

There are are quite a few of us ford guys around central Alberta collecting all kinds of FORD parts, what exactly are you looking for and how much porting and such. I may be able to help you out. I have worked up at Bonnyville alot, have you checked the auto wreckers there ? Also there is a lot of Mud Boggers out around Neilburg Sask. that run Big Block Ford stuff. Also Fernando that owns Best Buy auto parts now Performance Parts Unlimited and Johnny Rocket (Engine Builder) may have a couple of sets of ported DOVE's ready to go. At the last swap meet in Edmonton I picked up a pair of C9's bare except for screw in studs for $150.00.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: Duties, etc...

Maulerman said:
How do you think Canada pays for its stellar socialized medical care? The $ has to come from somewhere.
How does overpaying UPS, an American company, pay for our Medicare??

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: Duties, etc...

gofastmerc said:
Maulerman said:
How do you think Canada pays for its stellar socialized medical care? The $ has to come from somewhere.
How does overpaying UPS, an American company, pay for our Medicare??
Well the taxes and duty would go to the Canadian crooks oops, I mean government. My question is "WHO SAID IT WAS STELLER"?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Heads

Mark Laczo said:
Also Fernando that owns Best Buy auto parts now Performance Parts Unlimited and Johnny Rocket (Engine Builder) may have a couple of sets of ported DOVE's ready to go.
There are two Unlimited's in Calgary (that is to say, shops that have that word in their name) both of which have pretty iffy reputations. The place in Edmonton Fern manages (wholly owned by an investor out of Burbaby BC) is called Performance Parts Center (780-484-8220), and yes they are a great group of guys. Johnny is too, though I doubt he's done enough iron 385 stuff to compare to say Scott the Mad Porter. No point in reinventing the wheel by having Johnny start experimenting on the flow bench with the "clock ticking" ($) to see what works

1 - 17 of 17 Posts