460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to build a 545 that makes 800hp on pump gas? Also if you bumped up the compression to 13.5 or 14.1 could you make 1000hp n/a without the aid of any power adders? Can you do this with the old 660 center squirters?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
depends on a lot more than pure C.I. size.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
How hard is it to build a 545 that makes 800hp on pump gas? Also if you bumped up the compression to 13.5 or 14.1 could you make 1000hp n/a without the aid of any power adders? Can you do this with the old 660 center squirters?
Not hard at all 545ci with afr 315 heads, 11.7 comp, 258/270 @.050 .650 lift hydraulic roller with solid lifters, afr intake, 1050 carb............bang 800+hp 750+tq............all on pump gas and all done at 6000rpm.....ultimate street car!! IMO

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not hard at all 545ci with afr 315 heads, 11.7 comp, 258/270 @.050 .650 lift hydraulic roller with solid lifters, afr intake, 1050 carb............bang 800+hp 750+tq............all on pump gas and all done at 6000rpm.....ultimate street car!! IMO

Cheers, Bob
thank you Bob for the information, I was thinking about doing 545 build. I heard they have more longevity than the 557, I don't really understand why? the other answers I have gotten were really useless. I guess you prefer the AFR head and intake over the Trick Flo brand

·
Registered
894 Posts
.080 over is more than is really practical for most blocks, and why go to the max overbore on the first motor? If you want more cubic inches, do a .060 over for a 552. However, using the old 1 hp per ci saw, why bother for 12 hp?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.080 over is more than is really practical for most blocks, and why go to the max overbore on the first motor? If you want more cubic inches, do a .060 over for a 552. However, using the old 1 hp per ci saw, why bother for 12 hp?
I get it for wanting save it for another boring or two or three, I was just wondering if there was something about that combination that made it not last as long? 557 is just what I saw them build on power nation and it sounds pretty kool when you say it! lol

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
In some blocks cylinder wall integrity at .080" over is such that cylinder wall flex occurs with a resulting loss in ring seal.

Bore it .030" over and call it what ever you want. Your butt dyno will likely never be able to feel the difference.

Suffice to say that exactly the same combo at 557 inches built in both a CJ 4 bolt D0VE A block vs an A460 block with much thicker walls... 29 hp better with the more ridged foundation.

The combo noted above by bob is one we built. A bit more cam timing and 850+ to 900 is completely doable on pump 93.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In some blocks cylinder wall integrity at .080" over is such that cylinder wall flex occurs with a resulting loss in ring seal.

Bore it .030" over and call it what ever you want. Your butt dyno will likely never be able to feel the difference.

Suffice to say that exactly the same combo at 557 inches built in both a CJ 4 bolt D0VE A block vs an A460 block with much thicker walls... 29 hp better with the more ridged foundation.

The combo noted above by bob is one we built. A bit more cam timing and 850+ to 900 is completely doable on pump 93.

SJ
used 2b RHP

MP, at what rpm could you reach 900hp with the 557ci?....and would you have too change springs or leave it at 175/495

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
6800 or so.
Some additional spring might be needed yes.
Don't get many clients wanting 900 hp pump gas strokers for the street lol.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Oh.....they all want them......
Lol.
True in certain circles. Mine not so much.
Most don't want the maintenance and to have to pay attention.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can do anything you want. Get a block and add money.
damn I didn't know that. I guess I sent this answer to the wrong guy to start with. I you don't know the answer to the question don't give an answer Captain Obvious. Maybe it was my fault, I should have asked a more specific question instead of a general one for the more simple minded people out there, like maybe "Exactly what parts do I need to purchase to build a 545 big block ford that will produce over 800 horsepower on the dyno and where is the most reliable place to purchase them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

SJ
used 2b RHP

I see on your web page that you have AFR heads on there too, like Bob stated.
Do you get the AFR heads to perform better than Trick Flow heads and have you ever built any with Kaase P51 or SR71 heads and compared them all?

·
Registered
894 Posts
damn I didn't know that. I guess I sent this answer to the wrong guy to start with. I you don't know the answer to the question don't give an answer Captain Obvious. Maybe it was my fault, I should have asked a more specific question instead of a general one for the more simple minded people out there, like maybe "Exactly what parts do I need to purchase to build a 545 big block ford that will produce over 800 horsepower on the dyno and where is the most reliable place to purchase them?
So you would like someone that makes their living do this to supply you the information so that you can duplicate their efforts, while never paying them for what their customers would spent about 20K to do?

Not intending to be snotty....but you started it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts