460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Scotty J, for what its worth you being generous with your knowledge is definetly not hurting your bottom line you won my confidence and future buisiness. cant buy to many custom made 385 parts or hear different combos run at jegs web site! i think what you do is great ! if it werent for people like you there would just be more LS,s to hear about
It's obvious that you don't take 40 phone calls a day wherein you discuss all of the technical aspects of a particular combination, and it's variations, only to have the conversation in "Can you give me the part numbers for that?"

I don't mind the chit-chat, but please......

I guarantee you, that if Scotty J is doing that...it is hurting his bottom line.

Scotty's time is Scotty's money.....

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've talked to both Scott and Mark on the phone. Both were extremely helpful to me, especially back 11 years ago when I was building my first stroker 385 series. I wouldn't expect someone to give me a parts recipe and say "here you go, pal", then have me Google, eBay, or Amazon my way to what I was after. I bought my parts straight from them. It might cost an extra hundred or two over those faceless corporations on an entire build, but it's worth it. I had a valve guide to valve issue once, and Mr. Piston met Mr. Valve. I had a show/race coming up, so I called Scotty. He had a new valve drop shipped to my house straight from the manufacturer so I wouldn't have to wait for it to get to him, then me....that's worth it right there. Mark spent quite some time on the phone with me during a Saturday back then helping me figure out what combo I wanted as well as what I NEEDED, and at the end of the conversation I gave the man my credit card number so I could get the parts I needed from him shipped out that Monday. That's the way it is with me, and that's the way it should be. These guys spend the time helping so much, and I'm very thankful for the that. After 6 more BBF builds, I don't need their help as much, but I know they are there if I do, and I'm forever grateful for their help getting me started on the path to where I'm at with these engines now. It's kind of like "buy local", if you're from a small town, you'll understand. Buy "local" from the guys on here that help you, and you'll get paid back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So you would like someone that makes their living do this to supply you the information so that you can duplicate their efforts, while never paying them for what their customers would spent about 20K to do?

Not intending to be snotty....but you started it.
uh- ex squeeze me but I gots 28k in mine thank you very much lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
all I can say if yall don't mind is I have a 545 its blown brand secret, its fuel injected again secret, awe hell everything is my secret, I did however put up a video on head gasket orientation, and some cooling tips, and what I did to cool my beast down, but as I read through all of this I kinda agree I am not going to tell some one every step of the way to 1000 hp on the street, that's how I make money on the side for my 40 plus years of blower power monster motors, I learned a long time ago mouth shut eyes open ears open study research pay your dues, and yes those of us that's been there and done that are more apt to share info among ourselves because why .. we paid our dues, and we paid the parts man, and the shop time, yes I like to help but im not going to build you stuff for you free either, building a motor on pump gas to 800 hp is not out of the question, just out of the reach of some peoples wallet these big fords are not cheap,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
It's obvious that you don't take 40 phone calls a day wherein you discuss all of the technical aspects of a particular combination, and it's variations, only to have the conversation in "Can you give me the part numbers for that?"

I don't mind the chit-chat, but please......

I guarantee you, that if Scotty J is doing that...it is hurting his bottom line.

Scotty's time is Scotty's money.....

See post #35

On a daily basis I've got the RHP shop phone, text messages, FB messenger x2, two website contact forms and email.

Given two shops and busy as hell we manage by keeping phone call time reasonable and dealing with the other modes of communication as needed and when there is time. Not as much time to BS these days. :)

I've created some FAQ type of responses I can copy and paste as needed to save time and then tailor further responses more individually. After the purchase of the machine shop time management became much more of an issue.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
all I can say if yall don't mind is I have a 545 its blown brand secret, its fuel injected again secret, awe hell everything is my secret, I did however put up a video on head gasket orientation, and some cooling tips, and what I did to cool my beast down, but as I read through all of this I kinda agree I am not going to tell some one every step of the way to 1000 hp on the street, that's how I make money on the side for my 40 plus years of blower power monster motors, I learned a long time ago mouth shut eyes open ears open study research pay your dues, and yes those of us that's been there and done that are more apt to share info among ourselves because why .. we paid our dues, and we paid the parts man, and the shop time, yes I like to help but im not going to build you stuff for you free either, building a motor on pump gas to 800 hp is not out of the question, just out of the reach of some peoples wallet these big fords are not cheap,
nice car there. how do you like the fuel injection? have you tried other brands? My wifes ex brother in law was putting that type on an old bronco he was building for this millionaire friend of his. he has built him several mustangs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
nice car there. how do you like the fuel injection? have you tried other brands? My wifes ex brother in law was putting that type on an old bronco he was building for this millionaire friend of his. he has built him several mustangs
and the reason I asked the question is because I was told by a man he could build me one for 8 grand carbs to pan. I was just seeing if it was feasable

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is my understanding that the longevity issue stems from how far the piston comes out of the bore at bottom dead center when using a 4.5" stroke configuration with a production block such as in the 545/557. What seems to happen is, with the piston comes so far out of the bore @ BDC it will rock in the bore and cease to be square with the cylinder. When this happens the bottom of the cylinder wall acts like scraper and scuffs the piston skirt causing excessive wear to the skirt. Wear that wouldn't normally happen or be as severe with the 4.3" stroke used in the 521/532 stroker confuguration as the piston stays a bit farther up in the bore @ BDC. Now this will tend to be compounded when using a piston, like a 2618 forging that requires more clearance and looser fit in the bore. Add to that even more clearance during cold starts and for nitrous and/or forced induction applicatios and it gets worse. All this leads to greatly reduced piston life which is why most engines you see built with the 4.5" stroke aren't ones that get driven all that much or they are strictly used on the track and will get torn down or changed up seasonally or at least before they fail (maybe).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love that pic man..nice *** ride! I had a 67 LTD back in the late 80's. It was an original 428/ C6/ 9 inch car...all stock down to the carburetor (well except for the glass packs, man did I lovfe that sound lol) Sold the car to my uncle just before I left for the Air Force. Always missed that car.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Couple of ways to address BDC piston rock.

Use a 6.8" conn rod and a 1.250" CH piston in a passenger car block or use a D9 block with its deeper cylinders. Problem mitigated.

During the machining process it helps to de-burr the bottom of the cylinder after honing to remove the sharp edge.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Couple of ways to address BDC piston rock.

Use a 6.8" conn rod and a 1.250" CH piston in a passenger car block or use a D9 block with its deeper cylinders. Problem mitigated.

During the machining process it helps to de-burr the bottom of the cylinder after honing to remove the sharp edge.

SJ
used 2b RHP

I had read that the later model blocks have the same deck height as the older (pre 1979) block but a 0.3" longer cylinder. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I wanna say the 79 and later D, E, & F series blocks all had that same attribute. Also, I'm no expert by any means but, the only off the shelf pistons for the 4.5" stroke combos I could find all seem to have 1.35" compression heights requiring the use of 6.7" rods. Probe used to have off the shelf pistons with the 1.25" height but, for some reason they discontinued them. I'm sure you could custom order a set but, of course that's gonna cost ya ;).

·
Registered
109 Posts
the fitech is nice but NOT user friendly you need to be a astute drivability and tuning tech to get it right I would go with the sniper next time

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I would go with Holley, excellent support and product. Bellow are two links for information on the Holley EFI systems. One is a fakebook site that Holley has with live support the other is a company that Holley has teamed up with that provides tuning and Holley systems. Whole lotta good information. The most important part is attention to detail when installing, paying particular attention to sources of RFI/EMI. I'm going with the Holley Xflow for the 545 I'm putting together.
Dan

·
Registered
939 Posts
My 552 is in an early C9 block, 20k plus miles of varying type of driving from drag to road race to cruises to road trips. Using Probe Pistons, rods, and a Scat crank. All good, no issues.....for the EFI question, I was running a FiTech on my F100. After getting towed home 3 times and swapping to a carb on the side of the road 4 others, I'd get the Holley. I'm "sponsored" by FiTech on that truck for racing, and I can't even get them to help out with diag'ing, and when they do, it's constantly wrong. Get a Holley system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 552 is in an early C9 block, 20k plus miles of varying type of driving from drag to road race to cruises to road trips. Using Probe Pistons, rods, and a Scat crank. All good, no issues.....for the EFI question, I was running a FiTech on my F100. After getting towed home 3 times and swapping to a carb on the side of the road 4 others, I'd get the Holley. I'm "sponsored" by FiTech on that truck for racing, and I can't even get them to help out with diag'ing, and when they do, it's constantly wrong. Get a Holley system.
Is your piston and rod combo the probe 1.25" CH pistons with 6.8" rods? Also, 100% agree on the Holley EFI. I have a friend that runs a Turbocharged 532 BBF on E85 and says the Holley EFI was the best thing he ever did. He can cruise it around town without issue and go to the track and run 9s in the 1/4 all day. I forget what his 1/8 mile times were but, they were spot on with his quarter mile times. I plan on running the Holley set up on my latest build for sure.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Is your piston and rod combo the probe 1.25" CH pistons with 6.8" rods? Also, 100% agree on the Holley EFI. I have a friend that runs a Turbocharged 532 BBF on E85 and says the Holley EFI was the best thing he ever did. He can cruise it around town without issue and go to the track and run 9s in the 1/4 all day. I forget what his 1/8 mile times were but, they were spot on with his quarter mile times. I plan on running the Holley set up on my latest build for sure.
I do have 6.8 rods in it. Mark O'neal who is posting on this very thread "is" Probe Industries, FYI.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts