460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at buying an old thunderbird that has been sitting in the back 40 for many years. I was told it has a 429 and is a 71 landeau with an automatic for $450 . Is this car have any value? Did cobra-jets come in these things?
Brian

·
Registered
131 Posts
i really dont think thunder birds are worth to much but if the car is not too rusty and you want to fix it up to drive go ahead and buy it but ifs its rusty and missing alot i would pass or offer $200 for it, even if the car is shot you will have a 429 motor

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
IF it been sitting make sure the engine is not frooze up try turning the motor to see if it will move by the pulleys.I have seen them set up an freeze up

·
Registered
271 Posts
IF it been sitting make sure the engine is not frooze up try turning the motor to see if it will move by the pulleys.I have seen them set up an freeze up
MY 73 bird with a 460 was frozen solid after sitting 5 years I had to remove crank with pistons still in block and beat them out with a bar and sledge hammer 3 pistons came out in pieces lucky for me I didnt hurt block or crank 10/10 for it and 30 over on block made a good semi stock motor

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usually the distributor is the hardest thing to get out of an old 460! I guess I'm not going to bother buying the t-bird. I don't need any of the parts and i probably couldn't make any profit especially considering all the work of dragging it home and taking it apart.
thanks for the help guys
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts