460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a locker in my 71 Mustang with a 460 and a Richmond 5speed for a few years but never really drove it much on the street. Lately I've taken it out on the street more than usual and I'm reminded of how it seems to pull slightly to one side when I hit the gas and when I let off I feel it pull to the other side. I've owned this car for you years and I've had all kinds of diffs in it, from open, to traction lok, spool, etc.but do lockers normally do this?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have one in my 57 Ford and it does pull to right but I chalk it up to torque from the engine. I'm sure if I messed around with the caltrac bars maybe shifted some weight around I could get rid of most of it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I never noticed a pull one way or the other with my Galaxie. The 4.30 is coming out and a 3.50 is going in but still gonna be a mechanical Detroit.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
If you decide you don't like the locker on the street consider the Detroit Truetrac, seamless operation

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one in my 57 Ford and it does pull to right ...
hmmm. I also have Caltracs. I did a little reading online and found this to be common for the Caltracs not adjusted properly. I'm going to try adjusting the preload and see if it helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's mostly due to how the torque is applied/let off. If you use one for drag racing, I did, 4.30 locker, I had to adjust just a little for off the line pull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've experienced the same Issus as you. It ended up being the the rear tires were 1 1/2" different in circumference. When I went to pass some one, all I had to do was throttle up and the ol Cuda would jump into the left lane. Get out of the throttle and it would mosy back into the right lane, didn't have to turn the wheel. Get out your tape measure.

Richard

·
Registered
60 Posts
It can be a little disconcerting at first, I had one in my 77 f150 but it never caused a problem even on snow covered and icy roads. Just anticipated it and all was good..

·
Registered
16 Posts
…it seems to pull slightly to one side when I hit the gas and when I let off I feel it pull to the other side.
I've had that twice with my own cars. My first lesson in chassis stuff as a teenager was in my '70 Charger R/T with a locker. Did the same thing. It also had a slight droop on the right-rear. My wizard buddy said it was in the front-end alignment. No way, it tracked hands-off straight and handled well, and it's affecting the right-rear height? Sure as hell, after his alignment it sat level and would only push straight ahead.

The other was a '68 Chevelle, which was posi, but also pushed to the side on accel and the other way on decel or braking. Found it was a single weak trailing arm bushing that moved under power. I've also been surprised over the years how many cars are far from "square". A 4-wheel alignment will find stuff like that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
that would be torque related, and you can adjust it out, but you would need a after market suspension like a ladder bars, or a 4 link, I run a blown 545 in a full size 67 galaxy with 31x17x15 tires and a 6 helical worm gear posi trac loc with 35 spline axles and a Chris Alston rear frame kit with ladder bars on the street, mine pulled like that till I put more preload on the passenger side, and re adjusted my coil overs to account for the added weight transfer, in torque load under throttle no the car launches straight and does not pull either way chassis chassis chassis adjust adjust adjust and bang it will be right,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts