460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I've been waiting for quite a while to finish my car because I want 4 wheel discs. Its a 63 Galaxie that I've mini tubed. The outside inner fender has been removed. So that the hard angle from the factory is gone. In other words its squared off at the top(theres a guy on here with a silver 62 that did the same thing). I have a rear out of a Lincoln thats set up. The problem is its 2.5 inches wider than mine. Thats 1.25 each side. At what point is it too wide? How much is too much back spacing?Could I just order wheels with more back spacing?
I would rather get it narrowed, but money has become a real issue.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Where you at Lonnie? I have a jig. I charge a $100. for narrowing. Im in central Michigan, approx 80 miles northwest of Detroit.PH-#989-494-9746
Regards.
Al

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
He's one of them thar Texas dudes.:)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
He's one of them thar Texas dudes.:)
Easy there David, he can't help it...:D:D:D I've forgiven him, I'm sure you can too...:D:D:D

Sorry Lonnie, I couldn't resist...;)

Doug...:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can have the new wheels done with the added 1.25 no problem,that

is if you use 8or10 inch wide wheels.Ihave run into same problem with 32

Ford,went with 6 inch backside on 8 wides,it works,no problems and much

more simple then cutting rear end. Some Lincolns have bastard gears in

them 9.375 ring, should not matter.

Been there done that,

J Y/B. Georgia

·
Registered
456 Posts
9 3/8 id

The 9 3/8" rear end is easy to identify. Look at the carrier. They have 2 vert. ribs & 3 horiz. tibs , the top one curving down into the second one. It is a strong unit with 31spline axles , daytona pinion type and no H.P. parts. Tres.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I checked with Moser and they said they would re spline my axles for $110. I found a local guy who would shorten my housing for $100(thanx Al). I know the re spline thing is not the best thing, but it will get me by until I can get some good ones.

And to my GOOD friends - DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lonnie,
Are you running aftermarket axles? How much HP you running?
I first talked to Greg Moser (R.I.P), in the 80's. At that time they cut them (COLD) which wont affect the case hardneing. They probably havent changed. Price is still right. At least some things stay fairly the same. That was Gregs first venture, cutting axles. Stay within set parameters and you will be fine.
Regards.
Al

·
Registered
306 Posts
What type of rims were you looking at for your Galaxie? Sometimes you are limited with backspacing. On my 67 fairlane I went with a 12" rim with 7 1/2" backspaceing (weld prostars) I have not seen a rim with more backspacing than that, and only narrowed my rearend 1". Doing a mini tub ended up to be more work than I thought even though it looks bad *** if I had to do it over again I would have back ended the car.
:)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
you got the stock 63 9" axles ? should be large bearing. just transfer the disc to the stock rear. new bearings will be needed

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Al,
They are stock. A tic over 500. Thats why I say temporary.

NF,
I was worried because I was going to wind up with 5-6 inches of back space. How in the world do you change a tire? Really thats my biggest concern.

2s,
The few 63's Ive had have been the small baring. If they made a large bearing in 63, I haven't come across it...yet(lol).

·
Registered
306 Posts
changing the tire.

Hey Lonnie,
Changing the tire is no problem at all but it is a snug fit. I think there is some differences in opinions on a mini tub. I got jiggy with the plasma cutter, not only did I trim the inside of the wheel tub but I trimmed the flange of the frame rail and split the wheel tub and I am going to have to weld a filler piece in ( still not 100% done) but I now can fit almost 12" of tire underneath the car, currently I have M/T ET street radials 325/50R/15 on it and it looks good.
Dave
:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea on a Galaxie, theres plenty of room on the inside. Its the outside thats the prob. Theres a real hard angle to clear the rear pass. window. So I guess I just wont roll mine down all the way!
BTW the guy on here with the 62 is TravisRice. Its funny how we did the same thing w/o knowing each other. He 4linked his though. If I had it to do over, Id do the same thing. Not sure if he narrowed his or not.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Almost forgot and most importantly I went to a coil over set up. That will gain you about 2 1/2" right there. If you don't want to spend that much money I believe Crites sells a offset leaf spring hanger kit for around $130 ??
Hope that helps.
Dave
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts