460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but hoping someone has done this and can help me out. Im installing a Heidt's Superide MII kit in my 69 Mustang, and got around to (I thought) cutting the rails and mounting the new crossmember tonight.

Here's my question if I can explain it. The directions in the kit say to locate the centerline 24 1/4" back from the front face of the forward x-member (under the radiator). The directions are the same for all early Mustangs, 64 1/2- 70. The problem is that when I measured it out, it places the centerline in such a way that the frame reinforcement plates they use sit right on top of the bracket for the old sway bar. I seems like it's about 1" too far forward . . . I can cut that old bracket out, but I know it's supposed to clear it. It doesn't really make sense to me that the locating point would be in the same position for all old mustangs, with the overall length of the '69 being longer. I think the wheelbases are actually the same year to year, but does anyone know if the front wheel centerline is the same relative to the front of the frame? Kind of a random question I know but like I said, hopefully someone has used the Heidt's kit on there '69 and remember if there was anything weird about that part. The other possibility is just that the sway bar bracket on the later year cars was larger I guess, in which case I'll just cut it out an run with it.

Any help would be great - thanks in advance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts