460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me the largest rear tire size I can put on my 65Mustang coupe without doing anytype of modifications to it ???

Since I am ordering a new rear housing should I have it shortened a little to help with larger tires ???

If you have this year Mustang with pictures would you please post them so I have some idea what it would look like with the largest rear tires possible.Thanks to anyone and everyone for their help with this.Timothy

·
Registered
285 Posts
rear

I do not think you need to shorten the housing unless you are moving the springs in .The inner fenderwell where the frame is will not let you go in much more anyway .I have ran 15x7 ford style steel wheels with 9 inch wide tires .the stock 15x7 wheel is the best fit from what I encounterd ,I did run 27 inch tall 10 inch slicks on the car too .I will see if I can scan one of the pics I have .I had a 52 inch granada 9inch .I had air shocks on it when I ran the slicks so they wouldnt hit the fenderwell .Hope this helps some ,Nick

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ran a 15x8" Weld wheel with a 26x10.50-15 M/T ET Street tire with no mods. I think the actual width of the tread was just under 10 ". Later on I ran a 26x11.50-15 Hoosier Quick time pro with a little help from my sledge hammer to the back of the fender well....didn't take much. These tires are 10" of tread. I had the 5 leaf 1" lowering springs and Comp engineering 3 way adjustable shocks on the rear. I could drive it on the street with only one passenger, any more and it would rub.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts