460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strolling thru the salvage yard this week, I came upon a complete Oldsmobile, its a early 80's car with the diesel motor.
I have heard that the Olds guys will kill to get their hands on the Olds diesel block....what is so special abou the diesel block?? Thicker to take the pounding that diesels produce?? This ones complete, is it a 350 or 455??

Second question, a while back there was a discussion about the electric vacuum pumps that are used on some GM cars. I'd like to get one of these, but I dont know exactly what one looks like, anyone have pics of one??......and on which models do I find them on?? Cadillacs?? Camaro's?? How much vacuum do they pull??

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
From what little I know about the Olds stuff that should be a 350ci motor. The fuel pump was belt driven and they were very durable motors. I don't know why they would be desirable though, they were a very anemic motor. I think the vacuum pumps were on the Vette.

·
Registered
176 Posts
schmitty said:
From what little I know about the Olds stuff that should be a 350ci motor. The fuel pump was belt driven and they were very durable motors. I don't know why they would be desirable though, they were a very anemic motor. I think the vacuum pumps were on the Vette.
Actually, the injector pump is chain driven off the camshaft. The block is
seriously thick everywhere, but the down side are 3" mains. The rocker
arms/push rods, stands all interchange with the gas engine, not sure about
the rods and pistons, the pin might be larger...

I've seen several rule books with the statement "No diesel Olds blocks allowed"

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
The diesel block was thicker in nearly all areas than the gasoline 350 engine on which it's based. The 350 Olds is a sturdy engine to begin with so it's stout. I've heard that the material used in the diesel block is some of the best materials ever used in a production engine block.

The diesels are all 350 cubic inches with different internals than the gas version. Olds die hards do value the diesel blocks highly, call Dick Miller.

The vac pumps were used on the diesel engines as well as on some 307 Olds gas engines with a lot of vac accessories. They were used in Buick Estate Wagons and other similar cars, Le Sabre etc. It's driven on the right side over by the AIR pump.

They are not a high volume device but they are designed to provide higher vac for the power brakes and heater/AC controls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts