460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True story...

The year is 1967. My parents are pretty well off. They are in business and own a couple of small grocery stores and a hardware store. I'm 14 years old and pretty spoiled but I don't know that!

I am the acknowledged gearhead of the family. I live for NASCAR and NHRA drag racing and my dad wants to buy a new car. His current car is a black 1965 Galaxy 500 2dr hardtop with a 390 4V 300HP V8 and Cruise-O Matic. He's going to keep that car but he wants a station wagon because he thinks it will be handy for the stores.

He comes home one day with a '67 Galaxy sales brochure from Ottawa Ford. He tells me to go ahead and pick out the options for the new car. There are some conditions, it has to have power steering, brakes and an automatic transmission. You can imagine what was running though my mind at 14, the NARCAR 427 or maybe a Cammer.

Well, there was no 427 SOHC on the option list, but there was a 427 4V and better yet, a 427 8V option. So that's what I ordered, the 427 8V along with the top of the line Country Squire package with power steering, brakes, C6 automatic, limited slip rear and of course power windows and lots of other options but no air conditioning because I didn't want to rob more power that necessary. Besides, we're in Canada, it's only hot for days or at the most a week or two each summer.

OK, here's the quiz. The car arrived and I was super dissapointed, the car was terrific for a wagon but the 427 2-4 had been "auto deleted" and replaced with a 428 4V. What went wrong with my order?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The 427 was available in the Galaxie, but it was mandatory that it be connected to a 4 speed manual.

An automatic was finally available with the 427 in 1968, but only in Cougars...and the 427 was tamed down to the tune of 390 horses with 428 CJ heads and camshaft (hydraulic)...then it was promptly dropped from the order sheets and the assembly line.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 427 was available in the Galaxie, but it was mandatory that it be connected to a 4 speed manual.

An automatic was finally available with the 427 in 1968, but only in Cougars...and the 427 was tamed down to the tune of 390 horses with 428 CJ heads and camshaft (hydraulic)...then it was promptly dropped from the order sheets and the assembly line.
Correct! How'd you know that? I thought I'd have you folks stumped for a least a day or two! Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I was always under the impression that with Ford you could get the high performance engine in a 4 door but NOT in a wagon. So the Galaxie package could come with the 427 and a 4 speed in 1967 with either a single or dual quad induction as long as it wasn't a wagon.

What's interesting is that GM didn't do this so much... I know a guy who had a Pontiac wagon that they ordered with the 421 Super Duty engine AND a 4 speed, now that's something that's cool AND has to be rare...

Back in the 1960's my dad worked at Shell in their research lab. As one of their test cars they had a 1964 Fairlane 4 door with the 271 horsepower HP 289 engine. He said it really ran great. They used it for full throttle detonation tests and other things related to gasolines. I would say that would have been a pretty rare little car too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Also you could not get power steering with any solid lifter 427. Ford did not want you to be able to spin the p/s pump beyond its limits.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
I'd have to say never on that one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Adrian Clements has a 67 Country Squire with bucket seats and a 428 4 speed, all documented. I guess the origianl owner had a letter from Lee Iacoca granting all these options to come together in a "wrong" car.

Any car with three pedals is pretty good, but wagons with three pedals are great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts