460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 10.1:1 compression 521 motor in a 65 Galaxie. Stopped at Citgo and used the 110 from the pump and picked up .3 tenths (12.24). I see several types of race fuels out there and wanted to get the best recommendation.

Currently, it seems that C12 seems to be a good choice, but would like to hear if there is a better choice for my CR.

Thanks,

Steve

· Administrator
5,120 Posts
There is going to be maximum benefit when using race gas. Honestly your compression ratio is pretty low. You can get away with running 93 octane with that combo. However as you found out you picked up some time using the race gas. 3 tenths seems a bit extreme for your combo as it relates to just a gas change. I think you probably picked up a little power but I tend to think that you also happened to have a particularly good pass on that one. If you took off 3 tenths off consistently run after run that would be another story. However if you just ran it once and took 3 tenths off I think you just probably made a teriffic run. Meaning you did everything right. I'm not sure what the octane is that you were using when you did that but lets say that it was 110 octane. You will not pick up another 3 tenths if you go to 120 octane. If your motor isn't built to use that high of octane you will really reap no more benefit from the higher octane gas. You have already maxed out the effiency of the motor.

· Registered
235 Posts
Maulerman

Racing gas has extra hydrocarbons over pump gas. Your motor must have benefitted from the extra energy available. I agree that more runs are necessary before jumping to conclusions. An engine generally needs no more octane than what is necessary to prevent detonation. Anything more is a waste.

· Administrator
5,120 Posts
I live in Georgetown Indiana. We have Sunoco Turbo Blue (110 octane) up at the local mini mart. Just pull up and fill up. $5.50 a gallon. I was running this for a couple of years. However they now have E-85. I bought a QuickFuel Technologies carb to take advantage of it. $220 a gallon and 105 octane. It is really hard to beat. However if a cop pulls you over he will think you are drunk. It smells like a distillery when it is running. A very strong corn alcohol smell. But the price is right...

· Registered
10,855 Posts
C12 is more than you'll need. Anything around 100 octane will be plenty for your 10/1 compression ratio.
1/2 & 1/2 - C12 mixed with 93 octane pump gas will get you there easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.