460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has been coughing her head off all week, so its inevitable I get it. Felt it comming on yesterday, more so today, still got off my *** and took the car out.

This is an 1/8th mile track I have run our 81 car at a year ago and had traction issues with it then. Well, I put some bigger rubber on the 69, M/T L8 compound, 31.25x 12.2 W, ran at 8.5 psi. 60' were all 1.41's............that sux lol. The car even with wheelspin is deadly consistant, went a 6.14, 6.12, 6.13 and a 6.12.

The last 2 runs were elim rounds, the 1st I had a horrible light (no crosstalk which I used to at my home track) but the guy broke out bad, I went a 6.13 on a 6.12, he had a full car on me and never dipped the front, horrible driving on his part, yeah for me. (no buy back anyway)

Next round dunno what happened, went 20 red and gave him a round, I went a 6.121 on a 6.12 dial so the car was not to blame just me.

Nothing broke, no drips, leaked the motor down when I got home it was still lukewarm and all cyls were 2-3%, no wird stuff in the oil sample I took. I have a buddy down here that is a Shaeffer oil dist and has been supplying me free 20-50 on his own dime and free oil analysis, what the hell.

Overall pleased, but the lack of a good 60' is aggrevating, the tire swap dropped my shift points down a good 300 rpm as I never touched the shift timer settings. Its trying, Ive got too much damn power to hook this slug right now. At least its consistant lol. Need to dig the practice tree out, been a year since I went to a bracket race.

I had too back the oil bypass down some as it was too high, I never got a chance to glance at it as this tracks shutdown is damn short, I still have a knot in my gut from trying to get it shut down.

I was the 2nd quickest car there, only outdone by a piperack running a mild 409 if you can believe that, he only ran 6.0's

Next outing will be at my home 1/4 mile track with a huge shutdown.

Vids up later.
_________

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured the big rubber would make it hook, NOT!!

Too late. I feel like doo doo, time to pour on the drugs...........

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still have not touched the timing or jetting, Air a month ago was best it ever will get, today was not bad but still no where near as good. Tuneup is still fat, I dont fiddle with it on bracket days, just take it and go.

I need a piperack to throw this is and go real fast ............

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First round elimination. 1/8th mile sucks as the fun is over too soon, I like that big mph charge on the backhalf tryin' to run um down. Thats where this thing likes to eat is on the big end.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jon,

Hope the family gets well soon.

Is the L8 a softer compound then your other tires? I think I read somewhere that to soft of a compound can cause some cars to loose some traction vs a little firmer compound. See if I can locate the article.

Hope to come to OKC and see you run that BBF!

Mike

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Jon, glad to hear that you had no problems other than traction. Didn't you have big tires on the car last year with the 472? If so, why are you going to the smaller slicks? And if I dreamed the big tire idea up, please forgive & ignore me. It's late... :lol:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Nice runs Jon...
If you're not happy with your 60's I'll trade yafor my 1.8 60' :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had m/t 31 x 13's on it last year, put the 29.5x10.5's on it for a class down here that is no longer.............as I said that they have a race comming up in may. If I have to I rob the 28 10.5's of the 81 and go skating lol.

Got a few other things I might try in the meantime.

Doug..........NO!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
:( :( :(

:lol: :lol: :wink:

Doug... 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Jon got a question!

Do you use the Yellow / Amber sun glasses when you race?

:D

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a set, did not use them this paticular day, just sunglasses.

One thing I have noticed is when I wear them in the day when night rolls around I loose the glasses and only have to add a minimal amount to the box.

Today I was done and home by 6.00 so it was no issue lol.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
For the speed that the rim applied pressure to the slicks & the wheelie bars moved toward the track surface, the front end sure didn't try to move/lift at the same speed.

That does make it seem likely that power was being thrown away from either the slicks spinning, or the converter slipping (or the converters dead). What did the slick tread wear pattern look like? Was it big ocean waves/rutts, small waves, micro waves (like small fish scale pattern), or shiny/glossy surface?

Can you borrow a bigger set of slicks just to see what happens?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The playback shows a good bit of spin at the hit, you can even hear it shred when it leaves. The first run was the worst, the tires even shuddered on the gearchanges.

They feel smmoth to the touch, almost slick, there is a slight bit of a wave, not bad but just a touch, and its not consistant across the tire, like it needs to "scrub in" still.

I'm gonna rotate the slicks, also thinking of putting my taller fronts on, 27.5 vs 25.5 to shift some weight back some, give it a head start on transfer so to speak.

Next race I can attent will be 2 weeks, and be at the same track as the 1/4 mile does not have anything going when I can go back.

These are as big as I can get under the car.

I discussed the front spring set up with Duffy awhile back, but he felt it was fine. These struts us a cart. that is just a passengercar deal, they are pretty stiff on ext. They offer a Koni adj for it but they are pretty pricy.

The converter was just freshened. bad as I hate to say it a 2 speed might work better.

Pretty bad I'm bitching about a car powered by gasoline that repeates like it does lol.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts