460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I've never got involved with drag racing before, couple of RWYBs 20 years ago but that's all. Now I have a 1972 Mach1 with 10.5:1 429, 750 Holley, mild cam, Lakewood bell, aluminum flywheel, Hays clutch, wide ratio toploader, 31 spline 9" with Torsen diff, 3.5:1 gears & Strange shafts. On the street I drive on BFG 235/60/15 & there is no traction in first, she runs pretty strong & I guess might do high 13s. I have an old pair of Cragars (maybe 11x15?) with N50-15s on that I acquired but have never fitted. Oh and some Lakewood slapper bars that need fitting. The battery will be in the trunk in a week or so.

I'm thinking of having a go at this friendly local series:
http://www.americansuperstock.co.uk/

I would think I need some slicks to get down the track but I don't know what size? Please don't tell me I need an auto if I want to win - I just want to have some fun with the stick!

·
Registered
331 Posts
sounds like a fun ride..... 3 pedals forever is how i have always felt. i changed over from a steel wheel to aluminum a few years back with great results.. crazy fun with lots of power and a stick....!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the throttle response with the aluminum flywheel, small stab on the throttle & it raps like a much smaller engine! Also makes the idle a bit lumpier.

I need advice on what size slicks to get, or maybe I'd be ok on some Quicktimes or similar? I guess I only have about 360 - 380hp at the moment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you use a full drag slick I'm pretty sure you have to get a driveshaft loop.

You may be able to skirt that rule with a DOT slick. Something like a 255/ 60/ 15 M/T drag radial would fit the bill. 7-9 inch rim, 10.2 section width.

Randy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've seen strong opinion against drag radials when you have a stick? Something about taking a long time to recover if they get loose?

I'm in the UK & it's not easy buying MT but Hoosier are better available and legal. Maybe try some Quicktimes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts