460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from car quest. they wanted $4.30 for a quart of valvoline 40w oil. i can buy one gallon of stright 30w for 9 bucks and change i was wondering if i could add one quart of 60w racing oil to 4 quarts of regular 30w oil and then use 16oz STP oil treatment additive to acheive some extra viscosity. wouldn't these two viscosities blend togeather to increase the overall viscosity of the mixture. The STP use to work fine in the race cars in the late 60s and early 70s befor the modern blends came out. want to hear some feedback on this. since it now cost about 50 bucks to change the oil in my race car using the racing oil. :idea: :roll: Thanks

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
not so sure I'd mix the two...........

Considering the amount of money I have in the motor I feel it would be unwise to cheap out on the oil.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have some stright 30w i could use but i don't know if this is enough for a 512 700hp racing motor even with the STP. i also found some 50w valvoline racing oil but i was thinking this was too heavy. for some reason O'Rileys has it for 2.99 a quart while every one else want's 4 pluss.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In an article in the last National Dragster, Buddy Reher (of Reher-Morrison) said to run 10w-30 and quit worrying about it. The article was mostly focused on racers trying to pick up a few more HP by running very low weight oil. It's not on their tech page yet, but might be in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
oil

I also vote for not mixing two different viscosities, something about foaming probability getting higher that scares me.

230 Posts
yikes!

40 weight with stp must bring it up to about a good 50 wt or so , what type of engine is this ???? and what do you have for bearing clearance??? and what temp is the oil when you start to get on it ??

·
Registered
405 Posts
I remember at Pomona at the Winter Nats one year The Castrol truck was going around the F/C pits giving out free 20/50 oil when the guy stopped at my pit and and unloaded a few cases, I asked if he had 60 or 70 he pointed to the STP truck folowing his truck and said he's got the fix. Sure enough the STP guy hands me 2 cases of STP & tells me add 2 cans to 12 quarts and youve got 60wt. Yes it works great to increase viscosity as this is what it's made for.
Van

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crank , thanks for the info. at the beginning of this post i was beganning to think i was way off base. i've always used stp. good product reasonably priced. the engine is 13:1 512 with around .003 main clearance and about .060 rod side play. what would you think of running 30w and adding stp. total oil volume is 10 quarts that includes 3quart accumulator.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vandy are you saying forget the 60w and just add the stp to the 30w as is. i always beleaved in the ability of the stp to penetrate metal and coat steel with a lasting lubricating film however i did not think about it's ability to increase viscosity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts